Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'94 S600 Sedan, '97 S600 Sedan, etc
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made the long drive to a popular junkyard this morning hoping to find some little things here and there for my car and was stunned to find a S600 Coupe in the lot. I've been visiting the yard for years and this is the first time I encountered one.

As usual, the rear end of the car is gone (lights, vacuum pump, amplifier, gas tank, etc) and the interior is completely gone, save for the leather dash, leather center console and suede headliner.

In the front, the hood, headlights, throttle bodies, MAFs are gone, but the rest are surprisingly intact. The V12 manifolds, the complete engine, transmission and the wiring harness has been replaced and its still there but I doubt anyones gonna bother removing it for 4-5 hours.

Thankfully some guy came by and helped me get everything I need.

I managed to get myself new spark plug wires, new distributor caps, new rotors, used duo valve and new radiator w/ fans. When I say new, I mean new. The parts looked like they've been replaced recently in the last year or so.

The biggest catch though was the 4 ADS shocks was still intact so we got all 4 and to my surprise, the shocks were fairly brand new also.

The car also had new accumulators and flex disc but I didnt bother getting those anymore.

All in all I hauled in about $4500 worth of stuff and the best part is it only cost me $230 (and additional $50 for the poor bloke that helped me dismantle for nearly 4 hours)

Some guy notorious for being the first one to strip a car for expensive parts was livid that I got the shocks before he did. He threw a couple offers at me, eventually willing to pay $1,000 for the set of shocks but I told him I needed them and he wouldn't let me live it down.

By the time I was leaving, he was stripping the car of whats left so I'm certain that car will be completely gone by this weekend.

Just thought I'd share that with you folks since everyone loves a good junkyard story. Cheers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to also mention I got 12 new fuel injectors along with everything else for $230.

A good haul indeed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Actually V.....

Several months ago I saw the whole car go for 300 bucks on (it was on for TWO weeks!!)Craigslist, ant it was running and complete. It had a check-engine light on, or in limp mode, and the driver's passenger window was broken.

I kicked my self in the butt for not getting it, but I found a 98 S500 for 1000 bucks with a blown 722.6 tranny-Which was an easy fix.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
White exterior, grey interior.

Car's interior was completely stripped by the time I got to it though. Only the leather dash and leather center console was left (as were the two front window regulators, rear passenger ones were also gone)

Anyway, the car was already crushed last week, engine and trans in tact.

Bah, if I had the equipment I would've taken those home as well. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
M120, M119, W126*2 + Silver Avantgarde wagon
4,742 Posts
This is all new to me, although I have parchment/cream interior so that one would not have been much use to me...

Thanks for your reply, and if you come across a coupe in my colour - please holler!!!

·
Registered
1998 W140 S420
271 Posts
Funny, i also know a small junkyard, 25 min from my home that has 3 140's in the lot, i go there ocasionally to get parts but every time that i do i am merciful that those cars that didn't seem to have anything wrong where torn apart inside and out, its like seeing a bentley in the junkyard, i actually have see one once and couldnt help but just stare and wonder about its history, i even have a commercial that mercedes made that shows exactly how i felt

·
Registered
1993 400 SEL
1,056 Posts
I was wondering about the pace of W140 disappearing in North America. It seems to me that the rate of W140 being scrapped and being parted for sale is at a constant rate. There is not a month that passes that I don't see in here or at the local kijiji ad advertising a W140 being parted or found scrapped for salvaging. I am hoping I get a chance to buy one or a few of these low cost W140 before they become a rare event... but I don't have any space to store any more cars...wish I did.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes Benz 300E, 179K, stock, daily driver
1,689 Posts
but I don't have any space to store any more cars...wish I did.
My two uncles rent apartments at the same complex and each are offered one car garage's for $50 a month, neighborhood isn't that good but it''ll be fine as long as you don't keep it open. Maybe you can find something like that in your area, my uncles would let me go through them if I needed a one-car garage.

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
W140's, in good, up-to-date shape, are indeed becoming rare animals these days.

Why? Because original owners are now tired of them. And 2nd/3rd owners at this point don't want to spend the coin necessary to keep them going, erroneously figuring they're too costly to maintain.

I just proved that you can take a heap of a w140, a 600SEL, and given enough time/patience and a few bucks, and remake the car as it was intended. And I still came nowhere near to the cost of the car either new or replacing it with something new.

These cars are marvels of engineering and quality of make.

I drove to a wedding yesterday and the bride and groom wanted to 'arrive' at their reception in our car, not their stretch limousine. Our cars make a statement, a statement that you value craftsmanship, that you appreciate 'old school' values.

Any clown can rent (lease) a new w221. It takes ingenuity to keep our cars going in top shape. Not everyone has ingenuity. And to drive our cars as a daily driver tells the world you're not a run-of-the-mill sort of person.

·
Registered
W140 1998 S320
299 Posts
I dont understand what a fine car can cost to Maintain it does not need but a fuel and thats it fired it up and let it hit into the main road like a monster bets anything in the its way
To part out such fine cars espaisly when they are intact not damged is a crime

·
Registered
1993 400 SEL
1,056 Posts
To part out such fine cars espaisly when they are intact not damged is a crime
No, it's just business. Some people look for cars, any car, to buy cheap and part out. I saw a 1995 S600 coupe on the local ads....it's being parted out. The seller even stated clearly that the car is not up for sale and will not be sold complete and the intend is to part it out. The photos of the car looked like it was in perfect condition...that's business.

The parts for the W140 is definitely more than the sum of the car...in this economic slump...where the auto industry has taken a big hit...if you have the skill to disassemble a car and make money at it...and you are unemployed...well, the fact that these are nice cars is irrelevant at that time.

Personally, I have come to the point where I don't really care if these W140 are parted out. It reduces the number of W140 that are probably in bad condition mechanically and it feeds the rest of us with inexpensive parts. All things come to an end eventually and so does the W140...it's probably the lease loved car in Mercedes Benz...because of the development cost and how it lost market share to Lexus and BMW.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts