Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Here is the story. I have both a '92 and a '93 300SE. Both have been reliable cars but there always seems to be somehting little wrong with each. I have always said that if I could 'morph' the two cars together I would have one great car.

Careful what you wish for. Several weeks ago by '92 was rear-end (no one hurt), but my car was declared a total loss. I thought about buying the car back from the insurance company, but they want $3500USD for it, and I really don't think that I want to mess with it.

But......being the ingenious guy that I think that I am, I decided to start robbing parts from the '92 for the '93 before the insurance company comes to get it. Everything was going great, got the radio antenna, some trim pieces, the ceantral locking pump, a vent, etc. Today I went to get the Cental Close Assist pump and I got in a hurry and broke off one of the six nipples (the one labeled 'SK').

My questions are:

1) Can I replace the broken nipple?
2) What does 'SK' control?
3) What happen is I don't replace the broken nipple?

I would appreciate any help.

Cheers,
Mark

PS - It looks like I am going to buy a '01 S500 to replace my beloved '92. But I willstill have my '93, which is almost brank new again.

·
Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
mpayne said:
OK. Here is the story. I have both a '92 and a '93 300SE. Both have been reliable cars but there always seems to be somehting little wrong with each. I have always said that if I could 'morph' the two cars together I would have one great car.

Careful what you wish for. Several weeks ago by '92 was rear-end (no one hurt), but my car was declared a total loss. I thought about buying the car back from the insurance company, but they want $3500USD for it, and I really don't think that I want to mess with it.

But......being the ingenious guy that I think that I am, I decided to start robbing parts from the '92 for the '93 before the insurance company comes to get it. Everything was going great, got the radio antenna, some trim pieces, the ceantral locking pump, a vent, etc. Today I went to get the Cental Close Assist pump and I got in a hurry and broke off one of the six nipples (the one labeled 'SK').

My questions are:

1) Can I replace the broken nipple?
2) What does 'SK' control?
3) What happen is I don't replace the broken nipple?

I would appreciate any help.

Cheers,
Mark

PS - It looks like I am going to buy a '01 S500 to replace my beloved '92. But I willstill have my '93, which is almost brank new again.
send me both pumps and i ll make a working one for you, for free.

what do i get out of it? i take the left over parts to fix my pump too.

if you like the plan, let me know.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
bayhas said:
send me both pumps and i ll make a working one for you, for free.

what do i get out of it? i take the left over parts to fix my pump too.

if you like the plan, let me know.
I wish there were people like you here in NZ Bayhas.

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
Thanks, dont feel bad tho, you can mail anything now adays!

·
Registered
1999 S600 W140 and 2002 S55 AMG W220, (previous: 1989 560SEL and 1995 / 1996 S500)
4,223 Posts
Hey Mpayne,

you should try snagging the tool kit too. Those go for a lot on eBay, and even if you aren't going to sell it, it will definately be useful. :)

·
Registered
420SEL
1,299 Posts
NZ Benz
At least you have fresh air, and good roads and ocean all around.
My mother has good friends in New Zealand and Australia, perhaps one day I will visit.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Tbilisi79 said:
NZ Benz
At least you have fresh air, and good roads and ocean all around.
My mother has good friends in New Zealand and Australia, perhaps one day I will visit.
Yea we do have that but want to tell me where the good roads are? :confused: I feel like I'm missing out.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Mpayne: To answer your question. The SK line is simply a pump vent line. It is hooked up to nothing. The line coming from this outlet terminates with a small air filter behind the left side trunk liner. After the pump closes a door with pressure, it then pulls a vacuum on the line for a few seconds. When the pump shuts off the vacuum on the line, the system is vented through the SK inlet, sucking air in through this line. The pump will operate all the doors and trunk normally without the SK line hooked up, but without the filter, you risk sucking particulates into the system. This probably won't be a problem in the short run but may be a problem in the long run. You may be able to just stuff a small wad of cotton in the nozzle (not too tightly wadded). That will serve the same purpose as the filter at the end of the SK line. You would just want to make sure that it doesn't get sucked in where it could get stuck in valves. I never did check to see if the pump blows air from the SK line at any time. I know it sucks air in. So, you'd want to make sure it doesn't blow the cotton wad filter out of the nozzle, too.

Brett

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brett,

Thanks for the answer. That actually makes me feel better. What if I just attached some gauze over the SK port and not actually stuck it in the hole? That way I would not have to worry about any of it being sucked in.

Thanks again.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
Yeah, whatever works. You just need some kind of coarse air filter. You could always try to epoxy the nozzle back in place with the expectation that you'll just break it off again if you need to pull the pump apart in the future.

Brett

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
or you can consider my offer!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bayhas, I appreciate your offer. Hang tight, I am working on a fix. Depending on the outcome, I might take you up on it.

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
mpayne said:
Bayhas, I appreciate your offer. Hang tight, I am working on a fix. Depending on the outcome, I might take you up on it.
sounds good...

·
Registered
1996 S600
200 Posts
Am I the only one who has noticed the accurate use of the word "robbing" in the original post? Presumably the insurance company has paid and owns the car, all of the car. Removing parts is a species of insurance fraud, however insignificant it might seem in terms of value. I am no fan of insurance companies, but this sort of "revenge" -- if that's what it is -- is no more savory than political and economic stunts the insurance companies are so fond of.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not their car until they give me a check. As of right now they have not. Once they give me the check, the way that the car is at that point in time is what they are buying. As is, no warranty. Until then, it is mine to do as I wish. Pretty plain and simple.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
mpayne said:
It's not their car until they give me a check. As of right now they have not. Once they give me the check, the way that the car is at that point in time is what they are buying. As is, no warranty. Until then, it is mine to do as I wish. Pretty plain and simple.
haha, thats a good way to look at it but...... what if I were to for example strip my car down and then be involved in a crash surely the car is not the same as it was insured. This is a very good chance to grab some parts just dont get caught:D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to keep the conversation going......How does/would the insurance company (not my insurance company by the way - the company of the person at fault in this accident in which 2 cars were totalled and one had over $30, 000USD worth of damage) know what options were and were not working at the time of the accident? They never asked me. If they had asked I would have told them. They just estimated what the cost would be to repair the car and then went to the books and looked as what the AVERAGE going price for this car was at the time of the accident and then offered that to me, since the repairs were going to cost more than that price. They also gave me some money just to say that I was not injured and would not sue them in the future. Don't you just love the system!?! The bottom line is that they will just sell this car to a salvage yard for a pre-determined price.

·
Premium Member
10,293 Posts
there is no way for them to find out, what ever they ask about, tell them it was broke!

·
Registered
1996 S600
200 Posts
Well have you agreed, mpayne, to sell them the car for a stated amount? If so, that's known as a "contract." Contracts are formed with the exchange of promises, mutual and reciprocal rights and obligations. Performing the contract is where they give you a check and you hand over the title. If you have formed a contract for settling your property damages, then I still think any alteration of the car after that point is technically fraud. There may be other facts that have been left out of the overall picture that would alter the situation. Nevertheless, it is worth noting that we live in a high-technology world where our lives have grown more interdependent on each other, not less simply because we no longer protect the backs of fellow hunter gatherers from predators. If we do not deal honestly with each other, and yes, that includes insurance companies, then how can we expect reciprocity?

If you have not agreed to any settlement, then I think you're right -- still a free country and you can do as you like with your own vehicles. And even if you have agreed to a settlement, there's no rule that says you cannot do as you wish entirely above-board. What possible difference would it make to the insurance company to tell their claims rep that you are taking off parts valued at US$x and tell them to pay you the balance. Enjoy being in that most unusual of positions where your bargaining power exceeds that of the insurance company.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts