Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One day about a month and a half ago my transmission started acting really shitty. I was hoping it was only time for a fluid change since it was at that distance and the transmission shop started to do that but the fluid they drained out was black as night, they claimed it'd need a full replacement or rebuild, at $5200 and $4000 respectively. So I drove it home albeit coarsely and bought a 95 C280 with half as many miles but the rest of the car being in disarray, to harvest it for the transmission into my 94. Being that all that has to be done is put the 95 transmission in the 94 what's a good estimate for the price of this? No rebuild is necessary anymore, just putting transmission B in car A. That HAS to be far less than buying a fresh one+install and less than breaking down my existing gearbox and rebuilding it and putting it back in. I also had the idea of putting the crappy transmission into the 95 since that way I could sell it off as a running parts car if somebody wanted to get at all the other irritating problems with the donor car that affect comfort rather than safety and driveability

Attachments

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Straight from alldata, it says it pays 8.8 hours for replacement, including transfer of parts, 24 hours if you do a transmission rebuild. Figure 80 bucks an hour for a cheap mechanic, and about 120-130 for a more high end shop. So depending on labor rate, anywhere from 700 to 1200 plus fluid.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Thanks for the link. Great tutorial. But for me, if this happens the car becomes a parts bin and I'm moving on to a Lexus.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
More than anything I posted it so that he can see why it calls for over 8 hours labor. And proof that it is doable DIY. As Andy said in the video, he has never done it before. But then again, when it comes to Mercedes, Andy appears to be a god among men :). Anyone notice that you could eat off of that engine bay?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
After you posted this I watched the other vids of his. He is really good. I doubt most first timer DIY trans repair will go as cleanly and smoothly as his went. He is very capable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
MB-W202
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing