Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995 c280
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission is cracked and it needs to be changed. I thought of buying a new car worth about $4000 and keep that car for later whenever I have the money to WELD it!!! but the mechanic said that changing it would be better. He's going to charge me $900 labor and $800 for a used transmission (59k on it) and he's going to change transmission filter, gaskets, and all sensors and wires. he's also going to put in it MB Fluid so all MB parts. My car's MPG is very poor (10 mpg) he said he's also going to check the problem for me and if any parts needs to be changed he's not going to charge me for changing anything, but of course I will have to pay for parts. So replacing a transmission is going to cost $1700. Is it a good deal?
thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Doesn't sound like a total rip off... considering if you were to find a tranny on ebay for 500, you still wouldnt know the condition of it and replacing a tranny is a decent sized job.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car for a while then it's not that bad of a price. If there's other things wrong with the car that will easily drive the total repair costs over the $2000 mark, I'd at least consider looking for something newer, you might get lucky.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
10mpg?!?! Have him call you before he figures out what it needs. Personally sounds like a bad 02 sensor and fouled injectors?? How long have you been getting ridiculously bad gas mileage?

My brothers jetta was getting terrible gas mileage which then fouled his cat. con. and would've cost him $1500. but he had the codes cleared and traded it in instead:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts