Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im sort of new to this forum (posted once before about a w116 for sale that turned out to be much less then the owner said it was).

There is a '83 300D (non-turbo) for sale near me that i was looking over a little the other day. It has about 289,000 miles on it right now, and the body looks to be in ok condition (my grandpa, a big car guy, said it looked straight and the dents and dings were removable). It had that musky old car smell, but did not smell too moldy and the moonroof did not appear to be leaking. It had been raining the previous 2 days and nothing felt wet. The dealership wants $1000 for it.

Now, im only 17, and this would be my first car... I am deffinantly willing to any amount of work on it, and i do have another car ('96 Ford Windstar) to drive even if this turns out to be a complete waste. I am particularly interested in converting it to run on SVO/WVO fuel. But im still cautious; Is this a good/ok deal?

My other question concerns power... I know its a very underpowered engine. Is installing a turbo a viable option, even if its running WVO?

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
If it is an 83 and a non-turbo it is a euro. Is it stick?

That sounds like a decent deal but just the other day I missed (and am still angry) an 84 turbo one owner 166k perfect car for $2000. I am looking for my dad and was just a few minutes too late in calling.

If the car is a non-turbo you can't put on a turbo. Well you can but you are going to really shorten the lifespan of that engine. If it is stick you will be fine and if it's an auto and the motor is in good running order you will also be fine.

·
Registered
03 CLK320/82 300D Turbo
108 Posts
Just bear in mind, as said many times on this forum, there's nothing quite so expensive as a cheap Mercedes. Body and paint are the least of your concerns. These cars were designed to be fairly straightforward to maintain and repair with basic skills and tools, but neglected, needy cars can quickly become a handful...cylinder compression, transmission condition, brakes and cooling system are all fairly easy to check. Do your homework before you lay out that hard-earned cash. If it's in good enough shape to pass inspection you're probably OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now that i think about it... Maybe i just didn't see the turbo... I didn't have the time yesterday for a real through examination, and it took me almost 8 minutes to find out how to open the hood. I guess i was thrown off by the badging, which only said DIESEL on the back and not TURBODIESEL...

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
If it is a euro there will be NO turbo on the car. The turbo is located under the air filter box, the car may just be incocrrectly baddged. It happends. If it is a euro it probably doesn't have automatic climate control, it may have cloth seats and likely has less, if any wood trim in the interior. Did the car have a tachometer? If it did it likely has a turbo. US models have big bumpers and nicer interiors while the euros mostly have the small bumpers and cloth.

I am willing to bet it is just baddged wrong because euro models seldom have the tag "diesel" on the rear boot unless it is a wagon. In fact euro often have no read badges besides the mercedes star.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
For $1000 at a dealer it's most definitely a non turbo car. Look under the air filter and you'll see the turbo housing or just fire it up and listen for the whine! The car has 88hp when new so it's something less than that now. Don't bother putting a turbo on it you'll waste your time on an engine that wasn't designed for it. The best bet if you want to do it is to buy the car for the body if it's good and find a good 617 Turbo and drop it in. It will save you time money, and give you a reliable source of transportation in the long run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts