Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some serious sediment in my tank and no ammount of filtering is taking care of it. I'm going to pull my tank tomorrow and flush it as well as clean my sending unit. I've heard everyone say it's a piece of cake to get the tank out, but has anybody found any tricks for easiest/quickest removal? It looks like the filler neck is permanently connected to the tank; does that just pull out of the rubber grommet you see at the mouth of the filler neck?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Remove all the lines from the bottom of the tank, unbolt the tank, and wiggle it out. It helps to have two people, but not neccessary. Most radiator shops can boil the tank out. The inside of the tank may need to be recoated. Eastwood make a product to do this, but I've never tried it. Don't know how well it would work in a 123 tank; won't work in a 126 tank because of all the baffles. Or take the tank to a quarter car wash, and pressure clean the inside.

Jamie

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gregs300CD said:
I guess not, but it would be cool if you updated this thread with what you find out.
Certainly!

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it was pretty easy. The only thing that I found was that I needed to move the vacuum tank out of the way to allow the tank to be pulled out. Once the tank was drained, the lines removed, the bottom hose taken off, and the tank was unbolted; I simply pulled the left side out, pushed the tank to the left side so the filler neck could clear and pulled the tank out left side first. If anybody needed to replace their shocks, with the tank out you can easily get at the top of the shock towers; so this might be a time to kill two birds with one stone.
I just wish I had the money now to add the heater element and thermostat to the tank.

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sediment problem's gone, YAY! Except now I found out that my 'lack of priming' issue the other day is due to an air leak; at least it must be. I must be leaking air somewhere between my primer pump and my IP; so tomorrow I get to go buy all new crush washers. At least now I know I'll have the car running right again before my trip next weekend; I'm taking a two day canoe trip down the Wisconsin river, boy I can't wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts