Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing the brakes on my '90 300 CE--the brakes on it now are wafer thin (both pads AND rotors... :D ), so it's time. Thanks to Jim ("Jayare") for his help re sourcing the parts. As soon as they come in next week, I'm going to start, and I will probably "picture document" the work and post it here....

I'm going with Zimmerman cross drilled rotors (I know, I know... but I like the way they look and there are strong opinions on either side...), and Pagid pads (basically Porsche pads).

This thing should stop great after this upgrade (I already have braided lines)....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,851 Posts
Erwin8r said:
Doing the brakes on my '90 300 CE--the brakes on it now are wafer thin (both pads AND rotors... :D ), so it's time. Thanks to Jim ("Jayare") for his help re sourcing the parts. As soon as they come in next week, I'm going to start, and I will probably "picture document" the work and post it here....

I'm going with Zimmerman cross drilled rotors (I know, I know... but I like the way they look and there are strong opinions on either side...), and Pagid pads (basically Porsche pads).

This thing should stop great after this upgrade (I already have braided lines)....
I just bought and installed some Zimmerman's too...but I got a set of ceramic pads instead of the Pagids...awesome rotors..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
Also have Zimmerman X-drilled front and rear. LOVE THEM! Finally found a rotor that doesn't warp. Using Pagid pads but considering changing to a less dusty pad next time. Any recommendations?

Sergio
'95 E320 177K miles
 

·
W124 Moderator
Joined
·
12,585 Posts
I purchased the Ceramic PBR pads from Autopartsplace.com. After a week of heavy in-town driving, there is visible dust on the front wheels. However, this washes off with almost no effort. I have been very, very pleased the stopping ability of the ceramic pads and Zimmerman's.

Some on this forum have suggested Axxess Deluxe Plus pads from Brakewarehouse.com . It has been written that the dust generated is white, therefore, not visible.

Jayare
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. The pads I currently have on the car produce almost zero dust, but the car "creeps" unless I keep steady pressure on the pads, which tells me that friction may be a bit less. I am more concerned with good stopping power than dusting--I seriously considered the PBR ceramics as Jim suggested....
 

·
W124 Moderator
Joined
·
12,585 Posts
JCKL_racing,

I found mine on ebay about a year ago. Not a bad idea to just start there.

Good Luck with the hunt

Jayare
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
Jayare said:
Some on this forum have suggested Axxess Deluxe Plus pads from Brakewarehouse.com . It has been written that the dust generated is white, therefore, not visible.

Jayare
I use the deluxe plus pads. The dust is actually light grey. You don't see it for weeks of driving, then it wipes off with a dry cloth no scrubbing :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
Heat above and beyond spec. He suggested that bushings in the rear control/thrust arms had died prematurely due to heat.

Just something to consider.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eliot said:
Heat above and beyond spec. He suggested that bushings in the rear control/thrust arms had died prematurely due to heat.

Just something to consider.

Eliot, I'm not dismissing anything yir mechainc is saying, but brake-heat-induced failure of the rear (or front, for that matter) control arm/Thrust arm bushings is probably the last thing you should worry about when selecting brake parts.... Your fluid would "boil" before any bushings started to fail...

Vehicle usage is important in the consideration because, for example, race pads tend to work only at the higher track-induced temperatures and might be "cold" on the street and not brake effectively. Conversely, street pads might "cook" on the race track and boil brake fluid/warp rotors or otherwise fail to stop your car ("brake fade") due to the higher heat demands placed on it.

A good street pad should be designed to work in stop and go traffic, the irregular panic stop, rain, etc., and be as squeek free as possible. A higher performance street pad will tolerate more heat (think occasional "canyon" driving, etc.), and is a bit better suited for someone who drives their car more aggressively...

Just my .02
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
Erwin8r
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing
Top