Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met a guy who owned a C-Class and he ended up getting rid of it because he said he put 20' wheels on it and wore out his differential (OUCH!). He also said he had to replace his flex discs(front and back) a couple times during his ownership of the 20" wheels. he advised that we should only go up to about 17" wheels to keep this from happening. the reason it happens is beacause of the extra load put on the car by adding bigger than normal wheels, forcing the car to pull harder than normal resulting in parts failures. just an FYI FWIW.

keep on benzin':thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
theres only one flex disc. 20 inch wheels are ricey and stupid looking anyways

·
Registered
387 Posts
20 inch wheels are ricey and stupid looking anyways
I agree, 20inch makes the car look like it's on a chassis of a hummer or clown-like. (feet too big) Imagine a beautifull women with feet like a bigfoot...
:nono:
+ it doesn't drive well...

·
Registered
'94 C280 US Spec
360 Posts
I think 18" is max, IMHO.
It's a known fact that wheel sizes that aren't recommended by the maker will result in faster parts failure, though I know that MB parts are so high quality, there shouln't be much of a difference.
Though I must say, if I was to use my C on a daily basis with many miles on bad roads, I wouldn't have gone 18. My daily drive is about 45 miles.

·
Registered
96 C36, 87 Turbo'd 190E 2.3-16, 86 SC'd 190E 2.3-16, Brabus'd C32
1,626 Posts
damn i thought there was only one by the diff

·
Registered
1998 C180 Classic
115 Posts
What is this flex diff, is it a rubber transfer buffer kinda thing..
An how would you ever know if the diff was on its way out? (On 20s)

·
Registered
1995 C220 102k
588 Posts
Hmm, I guess my differential is fine, But I am wondering If this means my wife is going out... She Whines, Clanks and Clutters!!! :D:D

·
Registered
2006 C230
180 Posts
thanks for the heads up, i was thinking of going up to 19's the next time i needed new tires but will look at 18's or just staying with my 17's instead. 2-3 inch bigger wheels is not worth damaging my car.

·
Registered
95 C280 W/NO2 Brabus Accessorised
74 Posts
Isn't it more the diameter of the tire ( therefore the circumference) opposed to the size of the rim that makes the difference, the normal 15 or 16 inch rim has about a 24" diameter tire so going to an 18 rim the diameter increases to 25 for a 255/35/18 tire, I think that once you go beyond that to a 19 or 20 they go up to like 27.

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^it's also the weight of the too big wheels that causes the damage.

and the flex discs are rubber inserts between the gaps on the driveshaft. there design to keep the road noise down and provide smooth relay of torque, driveshaft flex and drive range so you don't feel like you're riding in a go-cart.

most American made cars don't have these and you can feel and hear the difference in ride and performance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts