Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not mine (Yet!). but I volunteered to work on it..

My friend bought it off Craigslist for 500$. The owner said it had "Low Compression" and would not start... James(my friend) brings it home and I test the glow plugs... all test to infinity on the Ohm meter(resistance)... which I conclude.. all five glow plugs in the om602 non turbo are dead and... a 602 won't start with dead glow plugs.

The plugs should be arriving soon from fedex and I'll pop them in..

the only thing

I don't know how to remove the intake manifold on the om602... I know that if I unbolt it It will come off.. but where and what

He has a 280CE euro that he drives everyday but he is trading that for a 1983 Delorean(yes... a delorean).. and will need a car to drive since the DLO is having fuel delivery issues(reason why he's getting it for basicly nothing... not saying a 280CE is crap... there is just not that high of a demand for the gasser coupe)

I hope that the glow plugs are the only issue.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
With a bit of perseverence and a bunch of cursing there is no need to remove the intake manifold. I replace all 5 GPs without removing mine, but used a couple of universals and extensions. For me it was the lesser of 2 evils. I hope you are getting Bosch GPs, as you don't want to replace more than once. Also, remember to put some never-seize compound on the threads, will make your life easier in the future.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we removed the intake manifold and only broke one linkage ball.. stupid plastic.. put new glow plugs, reconnected everything except reinstall the air box and... we got nothing.. no cranking.. nothing.Put a new battery in(from my car).. nothing. The starter wouldn't click or nothing

so.. what ever he bought it to part it out and was hoping it would run so he could sell it for even more profit but
here is what it has

euro lights
clear front markers
smoked tail lights
different steering wheel.. kinda AMG looking but not AMG
wood shift handle
5 speed

those are all the big ticket items...

PM me if you want anything and I will forward to him (I think an email address will be useful as well)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
how can you sell the 280ce, hold on to it tight, one day its going to be worth a lot, modern cars are just rubbish.

60s styling with 21st century engineer is what we need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts