Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300d
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a local 300d (the turbo version) with 200k miles that I'm going to go look at today. I'm wondering what to look out for. I read this buyers guide: How to inspect and buy a diesel car and I've been doing a lot of reading on here but I'm just wonder if you guys have any thing specific I should look out for.

The owner says it has vacuum leaks so the central locking doesn't work(doesn't matter to me). He the trans doesn't shift the smoothest. The driveshaft carrier bearing whines on warm up and it will need a new brake master cylinder. (both cheap parts that I can install my self).

The only other problem with the car that worries me a little bit is he said the car "It smokes more than normal at start up because the ALDA has been adjusted to push more off-turbo fuel" should that have me worried?

TIA

·
Registered
1983 300d
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
btw I don't want to be putting a lot of money into this car. The plan is to use it as a reasonably nice beater car to get me through the winter. And then sell it or give it to my little brother in the spring/summer

·
Registered
77 450 SL
613 Posts
The vac leaks will cause the locking system to not function, and will also cause a transmission to shift hard. Driveshaft carrier bearing whines on warm up? Doesn't sound right to me. Could be right, but sounds like a misdiagnosis. Why does it need a new master cylinder? If it's the vac diaphragm in the brake booster leaking, that would cause the vac troubles as well. Excess smoking on start up could be a number of things, depending on color of smoke. Grey is just unburnt fuel, and could be a bad glow plug.

200k is not a lot of miles for one of these cars.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
You may be able to isolate the door lock system, thereby bringing everything else back to normal.

Don't worry about the ALDA.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo, 126xxx miles
196 Posts
Excess smoking on start up could be a number of things, depending on color of smoke. Grey is just unburnt fuel, and could be a bad glow plug.
Could also need a valve adjustment, also an easy fix. I agree, don't worry about the ALDA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts