1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190E 2.3 & SLK230K
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well...

my last final is tomorrow and im officially on spring break...hehe

so i'm gonna have time and will be able to service my car...

it's got 36,642 miles on it right now and i'm going to get the:

-oil changed with mobile 1 synthetic
-transmission flushed
-differential flushed
-radiator flushed
-front brakes
-roof joints lubed

any other fluids i should get replenished?

how often should the above mentioned fluids be changed? mileage? time?

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Just my opinion but,

Engine oil with Mobil 1 every 5K
Transmission Fluid every 30K
Differential Fluid every 30K
Radiator flush every 3 years regardless of mileage
Front brakes when they wear out, could be anywhere between 20K and 50K depending on how/where you drive.
Roof joints lubed every year regardless of mileage

Others:
Brake Fluid Flush every 3 years regardless of mileage
Power steering fluid flush every 3 years regardless of mileage
Not really sure about the supercharger oil, but I'm thinking 30K would be a good time to drain and refill.
Battery electrolyte level, check every 3 months and add as necessary.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I like Brian's suggestions with a couple of changes:

MB Service Manual suggests changing the brake fluid every 2 years.

I think I'll lump the transmission fluid, differential, power steering fluid, and supercharger oil all into a 50,000 mile fluids change.

I also live on the edge I guess, I'm doing my oil changes according to the FSS schedule, about once a year or about 10,000 miles. From what I've read (here and elsewhere) the Mobil 1 should easily last 10,000 miles. I know most people are changing at 5000 miles to be conservative.

·
Registered
99 slk 230 sport
144 Posts
I would like to do as much maintenance myself as possible. Anyone have a recommendation for lubing roof joints? How about the rubber, is their anything that can help them? I was thinking of a thin coat of petroleum jelly.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
okieslk - 3/18/2005 11:21 AM

I would like to do as much maintenance myself as possible. Anyone have a recommendation for lubing roof joints? How about the rubber, is their anything that can help them? I was thinking of a thin coat of petroleum jelly.
I suggest getting special stuff from Mercedes, some lubricators are bad for rubber.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
The brakes are easy. It should take you less than an hour to change the front pads yourself.

I thought the SC was sealed and there was no way to change the oil.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
Brian_R170 - 3/17/2005 12:41 AM

Just my opinion but,

Engine oil with Mobil 1 every 5K
Transmission Fluid every 30K
Differential Fluid every 30K
Radiator flush every 3 years regardless of mileage
Front brakes when they wear out, could be anywhere between 20K and 50K depending on how/where you drive.
Roof joints lubed every year regardless of mileage

Others:
Brake Fluid Flush every 3 years regardless of mileage
Power steering fluid flush every 3 years regardless of mileage
Not really sure about the supercharger oil, but I'm thinking 30K would be a good time to drain and refill.
Battery electrolyte level, check every 3 months and add as necessary.
I like these suggestions. I changed everything that you listed Okie at 42,000 miles, and it was way too long in my opinion. The tranny fluid was dark and the differential oil nasty. I spent about $300 in just the supplies to do what you wrote, including the purchase of a tranny dipstick, etc. I think you'll be out about $1200+ at the dealer for all of that.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
okieslk - 3/18/2005 10:21 AM

Search this forum and you'll find the Mercedes part number for the lubrican that you put on the rubber seals.

Does anyone know what kind of oil we're supposed to use on the roof hinges? Anything special, or just 3-in-1?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
430 - 3/18/2005 10:29 AM

I thought the SC was sealed and there was no way to change the oil.
Can anyone confirm that this is the case? I don't want to look (more [:eek:)]) like an idiot when I ask them to change it if it can't be done.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also have about the same mileage (37K), and I am off for spring break (I'm a teacher) and have an appointment for Monday morning -- service B. I guess I should be getting some of the same things done as well?

Engine oil with Mobil 1
Transmission flush and Fluid
Differential Fluid
Radiator flush
Roof joints lubed
Brake Fluid Flush
Power steering fluid flush

I better get my check book out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts