Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone my MB dealer, I'm going to take the AMG over the BMW M's. What sold me about this car is that it covers my lifestyle... As Jamie C mentioned before about the sleeper look, the kid inside me can picture riceboys and teenagers in mustangs snickering at me in this car thinking it's an old man mobile while I leave them in the dust : ) The business side of me can picture taking 4 clients in luxury and still be able to smoke rustangs. <br>
The smooth shifting gear box that I've been reading about in all the reviews also sold me. I don't think I'm a pro driver in any sense of the term but I'm not a bad shifter either... but I don't think I can shift as fast as the auto in this car. The AMG seems to have higher build quality than its rival, especially better than the M3, although it was close in the M5. The leather was softer in the E55, the trims around the doors, to the feel of the door handle all feel better than M5, albeit only slightly. <br>
<br>
6/16/2001 is the big day : )<br>
<br>
So what should one look for in particular on delivery day?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tylenol ... your face is gonna hurt from grinning so much ...

<br> While I feel you couldn't go wrong with any of the cars you mentioned, the E55 covers so many bases. BTW: I shift all the time in my E55 ... when accelerating and slowing down ... the Touchmatic is effortless, and the shifts are seamless. <br> <br> So, what color combo are you getting? What options? We like lots of pictures here, so bring your camera.<br> <br> Welcome.<br> <br> Drew.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good choice...

Congrats on your purchase and 11 more days to go till you join the club..<br> <br> I'm sure you won't be disppointed. Like Drew says, bring your camera and take lots of pics....what color??<br> <br> Did you pick a new nickname yet??<br> <br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats! I just picked mine up last week...2001 Silver/Charcoal with CD changer. I am not literate enough to describe the feeling while driving it...less visceral than the M5, more refined. Just make sure you have a Valentine 1. <br> BTW search Bimmer.org for Jerry's e46 pick up checklist...very comprehensive - I used it when I got my X5 and the E55. If you can't find it I can email it to you. I too struggled with the M5 decision but the auto was what did it for me, particularly since the clutch on the M5 likes to fry itself and I am often stuck in bumper to bumper traffic getting in/out of NYC. It will seem like a long week before you pick it up but it is certainly worth the wait.<br> <br>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts