Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Newbie to the site. Was getting ready to drop a 92' 119 V8 in to a 92'300ce. Here is some shots of
the project....
Car

Motor[:D]

old motor [:(]

Hopefully with the help of some of the Benz brains on the site, It will be a completed swap..
The job will be done in our shop( which is a full service shop) so lifts, hoists, all-data, tools, and mechanical abilty are there...

From what I have read, it seems that the trans tunnel is narrower on the Coupe chassis. Is this 100% verified info?

Later this week we will have the motor out of the car.[}:)][:D]

We will start mock up of trans, and figure out what tunnel mods need to be made..

We are using the 92 e400 motor/trans combo, with 400e front springs for starters.... any help and tips would be greatly appreciated... does not seem like to many people have crossed this bridge... so let's make it happen...

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
without the head on that looks like an M103 (fuel injection) but the body panels suggest its an early M104? correct?

ive heard the transmission tunnel thing too. i think you will be able to squeeze in the drivetrain without major surgery, but just have less space than the engineers in stuttgart would have wanted you to.

good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of this project.
Good luck!

matteus

·
Registered
906 Posts
I am drooling!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We were taking some measurements today, from a 400e vs 300ce. Trans tunnel is the same width, firewall is the same. The engine bay is the same dimensions firewall to radiator support.

Dont think there will have to be any firewall/tunnel mods at all. Now the crossmember. That is another issue...

Battery will have to be relocated to the rear. And hoping to get the whole computer box mounted and diagnostic terminal functioning correctly..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Good Luck & please post progress regularly!

Satish at Motorwerks here in MI is performing a similar swap on a 1994 E320 coupe & tuning it into a "500ce". They already have the engine in & plan on modifying the body with the 500e bumpers, flared arches & sills.

If Satish's 560sec V12 conversion is anything to go by, the 500ce will look as though it came from the factory.

My coupe first in line for the next conversion they do....

·
Registered
719 Posts
neanderthal - 12/29/2005 2:57 AM

without the head on that looks like an M103 (fuel injection) but the body panels suggest its an early M104? correct?

ive heard the transmission tunnel thing too. i think you will be able to squeeze in the drivetrain without major surgery, but just have less space than the engineers in stuttgart would have wanted you to.

good luck, keep us posted.
FWIW, the M104 is simply an M103 with a 24-valve head.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Glad to see somebody starting the project...its on my books too....I have a '88 300CE with the 103 engine begging for more performance....keep us posted

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
This is the swap that I wanted to do with my tired 88 260E. I was checking auction sites on the web for a wrecked 400E and found a few candidates but the work involved was intimidating. Everyone I talked to told me I was nuts for even considering it. I chickened out and swapped a 300E drivetrain into my 260. More power to ya and keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Sorry so long since our last post. Sure is hard to tackle a complicated project like this, while running a full service shop as well! No worries... we're making excellent progress... I am uploading some pics of the 400 crossmember welded in , and the pre-firewall sheets removed...... Almost done fabbing the pre-firewall sheets now, and should be getting ready seam seal and paint!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
sweet. keep us posted. start checking out transmission ratios as well, as the V8s had much taller (numerically smaller) axle ratios. you dont want to be doing 4000rpm at 80mph

jzaroh said:
FWIW, the M104 is simply an M103 with a 24-valve head.
yes im aware of that.
however, the early 3.0 liter 104 engine had the same jetronic fuel injection as the 103, the jetronic. the later 3.2 liter version had an HFM (hot film) system or a hot wire system, i cant recall which exactly. didnt have a fuel distributor like the early ones did. just a plain fuel pipe with a return line. hence my question.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That car is really going to give its driver an "Oh!" face ala Office Space. Make sure to do a catback exhaust with a flowmaster or the like, and without a resonator. I had one on my 400E and it sounded amazing.... Oh that car is going to be so nice. Maybe I should throw a m119 in my TE.

1 - 20 of 259 Posts