Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have owned this Car since May 2006 and it has been a blast. Being my first car to own I have grown attached to it. Now last week I was at a decision point where I needed to decide whether to keep this car and plunge money into it or move on and spend it towards another car.

As you can read from the title, the choice was made. The biggest reason is that I know just about everything about my car. Every bump, scratch and screw I already know about. Every issue i have already come across and have either addressed it or it's been on my "to do" list. Buying a car would be starting all over and wondering what has been changed, and what has not. The history of the car, accidents etc etc.

So here I am on my way to pick up my car. I'll let you guys know how it went and the total $$$ I bought most of the parts, but the head gasket I simply don't have the tools or the man power to do it.

If all is well a post should be up before 5pm EST.

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The head gasket wasn't finished today it was halfway done, My mechanics brother who is his #2 threw his back out so he got backed up. I came by anyways to take a look at the status anyways. Eventually ended up lifting the head off with the mechanic when i got there.

So all is not well, it turns out that my cylinder head may or may not be my original one. they found a number written in red marker on the back of the cylinder written "709". Second, the head gasket had already been done once. But they had used the non-revised version and had over used the adhesive compound.

Better news once inside. The valves look good. Ash colored on the intakes, darker black on the exhausts. No bent/burnt valves. The Camshafts are in beautiful shape, but then again i have never heard of another M104 engine having cams wear out. Thankfully the coolant flush port for the engine wasn't rusted shut. Cracking it open released all of the fluid.

As I left he started to grind off the residue from both the block and the head. And they were then going to wipe down the cylinders with gasoline to get the grim off and then start putting everything back together.

I didn't think it would be that involved to remove the cylinder head, but the Wiper Fluid reservoir was out, the air cleaner box assembly, the alternator, and the fan clutch assembly. My engine compartment looked mighty spacious the way it was.

I was dumb enough to forget to bring my camera for pics but I have the old wiring harness in the trunk So when I get the car back pics will come.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts