Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Bentley dealer today and I was very impressed. The SL is in the garage and not moving. I am at 1411 miles and don't want to go over 1500.

I believe I will be ordering a 2006 Bentley Continental GT tomorrrow.

Now, what do I sell my SL600 for with less than 1500 miles.

This is what I have into it.

MSRP $145,750
Extras $ 14,063
Total Mess is: $159,813 excluding tax obviously which puts me over $170,000.

OK, so who has any idea of what this car is worth? [:0]

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I guess it will be a while to get the leather seats fix.

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tiggerfink - 3/1/2005 8:04 PM

Sorry to hear that. I guess it will be a while to get the leather seats fix.
Everything is on order. We will see how long Germany takes.

My luck it will be here next week. [:)]

·
Registered
131 Posts
LovinSL600 - 3/1/2005 10:55 PM

Went to the Bentley dealer today and I was very impressed. The SL is in the garage and not moving. I am at 1411 miles and don't want to go over 1500.

MSRP $145,750
Extras $ 14,063

Trade in or Private party sale? If its a trade in you might want to take cover and run, your car is probably worth $115-$120 wholesale maby a few thousand more, here is the problem, the color(its not black or silver), you will never get the $$$ for the extras consider that gone up in smoke, and the fact its a 600 as opposed to a 500 or a 55, no dealer wants an off color sl 600 that will sit on the lot for months at a time(not to say your car is bad, it is a great color). They have a hard enough time selling new sl600's (at significant discounts off msrp) let alone used off color cars. I have heard the expression that the sl600 depreciates faster a dress falls on prom night. Your best bet is to sell it to a private party who will appreciate the extras and the nappa interior.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Lovin, i've been ghosting these forums for about half a year, too lazy to make an account. But i registered today to talk to you. [:)]

I can't believe you are selling your car. You should be happy with what you got! Did all this start when that guy optuae asked whether he should buy a Bentley or a SL 55 AMG? I thought Aston Martin was your next choice? But if you do get the Bentley, i hope you don't get tired of it as fast as you do your other cars. If you typically keep your cars for 3-4 years (or even less), i suggest you lease them instead of finacing them. Soom people assume leasing is what people do if they can't afford the car. Actually, leaseing is the smartest way to go. With a lease, they figure up residuals and its a straight line of depriciation of your car. You only pay as much as your car depreciates in those 3-4 years and hand it back. There is no equity in the car, and its more easy then buying it, and then selling it after 3 years. But if you are the kind that keeps you car longer, then finance it.

My opinion, your SL 600 is HOT!!! I would not get rid of it. You have ALOT invested in it already! Talk about down payment, mods you already did, and the equity already in the car. You would loose an ENORMOUS amount of money selling your car right now. It will be even harder selling your car privately. See, customers with $150,000 tend to go to the dealership and have a nice brand new car, rather then a used one. It will be very hard to find a potential buyer!

Now, Talk about depritiation. You loose the most money selling it now, being that its brand new and under 1500 miles. You will get the MOST for your money if you atleast hold on to the car for 3-4 years. Then would be a smart time to get rid of it. But your car is sooooooooo SeXY [:x], you should keep it forever! Don't get rid of it know. You loose soo much, money wise.

I suggest, if you reallllllly want the Bentley, just get it, but keep the SL 600. Unless, that is you can't swing both, which is understandable! All this money you are putting into cars, it would be wise perhaps if you invest it in some california homes and lease them out. I think it is just sooo foolish to sell the car now! You are getting very little car for your money . The way i see it, for driving your SL 600 1500 miles and selling it now, you could have bought a honda accord and OWNED the car just with the money you LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!! Think about that for a while. Be smart with your money

I hope you make the right decision! [|)]

(oh and if you do decide to get rid of the mercedes, don't be a stranger to the fourms)[;)]

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
I would listen to what he is saying and think about it carefully, or you will be regretting it when you're driving around in your VW.

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ajbenzo - 3/1/2005 10:25 PM

LovinSL600 - 3/1/2005 10:55 PM

MSRP $145,750
Extras $ 14,063

Trade in or Private party sale? If its a trade in you might want to take cover and run, your car is probably worth $115-$120 wholesale maby a few thousand more, here is the problem, the color(its not black or silver), you will never get the $$$ for the extras consider that gone up in smoke, and the fact its a 600 as opposed to a 500 or a 55, no dealer wants an off color sl 600 that will sit on the lot for months at a time(not to say your car is bad, it is a great color). They have a hard enough time selling new sl600's (at significant discounts off msrp) let alone used off color cars. I have heard the expression that the sl600 depreciates faster a dress falls on prom night. Your best bet is to sell it to a private party who will appreciate the extras and the nappa interior.
How much should I ask privately?

·
Registered
2004 SL500
42 Posts
Lovin,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your SL600. You are definitely going to lose money if you sell the car now.

Having said that, have you considered a Porsche 911? There are several 911 models that deliver anywhere from 325 to 477 horsepower. Prices range from about $70K to about $200K. If you want power/speed, I think you will be happier with a 911 rather than a GT. 0-60 times are all in the 4-5 second range.

Anyway, some food for thought...

Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a friend with a 2004 Turbo (the new convertible model). Had to replace part of the engine due to oil actually "seeping" through a new material they were using in part of the engine. A lot of down time to get it fixed.

After what you went through I'm not sure I'd want to go near a Porsche. I know more than a few people who switch to Benz because they can't take "Porsche flakiness" anymore.

My own experince with Porsche's has not been good. My SL55 has been far more reliable.

joec1101 - 3/2/2005 3:33 PM

Lovin,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your SL600. You are definitely going to lose money if you sell the car now.

Having said that, have you considered a Porsche 911? There are several 911 models that deliver anywhere from 325 to 477 horsepower. Prices range from about $70K to about $200K. If you want power/speed, I think you will be happier with a 911 rather than a GT. 0-60 times are all in the 4-5 second range.

Anyway, some food for thought...

Good luck.

·
Registered
SL 55
120 Posts
lovin, your gonna lose a huge amount of money. An absolute ton, if your gonna lose 50 grand for only that many miles I think it works out to you paying 35+ bucks a mile.... but besides that, please please PLEASE don't let it go, its sucha beautiful car, i know theres tons wrong with it but, lovin seriously losing that amount of money for just that mileage, come on lovin its such a great car :( sooo nice :( its not worth letting it go :(

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tiggerfink - 3/2/2005 11:37 PM

He's older than me.[:D][:D][:D][:D]
Now Tiggerfink, are you bragging again about your good looks and your age?[:D][:D][:D]

He is probably right. I am beginning to think the whole world is older than me. [:0][:0][:0]

Anyway, I turn 53 this May.

I know about getting in big time money trouble on the car but I just don't know what to do. Tonight my friend brought over his Continental GT and we went for a ride. You know, with the exception of the Distronic this car has as much electronics and in a more updated fashion. It also rides great and has a gorgeous interior. Extremely refined. The one thing that has held me back from ordering the car is waiting to see if it comes in 2006 with XM or Sirius radio. I have really gotten used to the Sirius radio in my SL and thats about all I listen to. Got to have it factory installed.

It is not as sporty as the SL nor does it ride as good froma sports car point of view...and then of course there is the hard top but, I just have given my heart up on the Mercedes.

They hurt me too much this time. A f#$king brand new $170,000 car and all this trouble. I almost feel, which I know is NOT true, that this car has told me you have had enough with Mercedes. Whether it has been S classes, SL's CLK's or whatever, I have bought a ton of these cars and I feel ripped off on this one.

I so much appreciate Scootcardwell's sentiment and his caring but I have 3 words for your Scott, "Wanna buy it?" [:)][:)][:)]

Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are great.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
LovingSL600,

Would you been real hot if the problem happen a year later after your affectionate period?

I know I would be hot after I spent all the time and energy to bring home something I really wanted and everything breaks on it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Lovin, your so glamourish in your 50's damn! Your my idol[|)]

must be so nice living in an exculsive part of california, drivng an SL 600! And you can accept a 50k depreciation like nothing! I almost cried when i found out my cars deprciated 8k in the first year!

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tiggerfink - 3/3/2005 10:25 AM

LovingSL600,

Would you been real hot if the problem happen a year later after your affectionate period?

I know I would be hot after I spent all the time and energy to bring home something I really wanted and everything breaks on it.
You know, I never thought of it this way but you have a very good point here.

Although I love how my car looks, I do not have any emotional attachment to it.

If this had happened a year down the road, I would have just gotten it fixed and not thought a second about it.

If I got upset, I just would have said to myself I am getting a new one in a year and it wouldn't have bothered me.

Besides, as you point out, at that time "my baby" would have had that emotional attachment. Today, they are just words.

Great point! You're so smart Tigger. [:D]

·
Registered
2006 Vanquish S
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BEnZ_BroTHeR - 3/3/2005 12:01 PM

Lovin, your so glamourish in your 50's damn! Your my idol[|)]

must be so nice living in an exculsive part of california, drivng an SL 600! And you can accept a 50k depreciation like nothing! I almost cried when i found out my cars deprciated 8k in the first year!
BEnZ_BroTHeR,

That was a very generous post by you. Thank you. I have tried not to take the money thing too seriously since I retired.

As you get older you begin to realize life is very short. I have got enough problems with the emotionial part of the car. If I started to worry about the money, I might just go off the deep end. [:D][:D][:D]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts