Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 Blue
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 01 slk 320 to have aftermarket speakers put in the doors. They replaced the tweeters and bottom door speakers but I noticed that now, when you close the door with the window down (passenger side only), it makes a rattling noise like the window is not held in place, like the window is bouncing back and forth around in the door. When I close the door holding the door panel tight against the door using my thumb on the outside and fingers on the inside, the rattle isn't there. It seemed that the door panel was not quite tight enough. So, I looked at the door panel myself and I noticed that there is an inner cardboard piece and outer skin on it. I noticed that on the top, where the panel slips into the door frame by the window, the cardboard had been glued back together. Similarly, as you approach the mirror and front of the door, the cardboard seems to end and is replaced by a black pastic piece that fits into the door frame. This plastic piece was also glued on. I also noticed that the same glue was used to glue in my new tweeter as the glue that was used to reconnect the plastic piece and cardboard piece back to the rest of the door panel. My question would be based on this evidence, do you think that the installers may not have known how to replace the speakers, damaged the door panel, then didn't tell me about it but tried to cover it up by gluing things back together. I have also read that there is glue used in the door panels to connect things but I don't know what that would be. Please Help!

Thanks,
Natalie

·
Registered
00 ML55, 98 SLK230
79 Posts
Hard to say without pulling the door panel off and seeing what is going on.

But what probably happened is some of the pieces attached to the inner door panel are glued on from the factory. When removing the door panel they can come off, particularly if you don't know the exact procdure for removing the panel.

It's not a biggie, they can be glued back on with no problem. I did as much on mine and it's fine.

It's probably just a case of the panel just not being re-installed quite right.

Have them look at it again, or remove it yourself. It is pretty easy to do, you can find instructions in the search. good luck with it.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
My bet is that they yanked the panel off roughly and left a couple of clips in the door - they will need regluing

Search for door panels - some good posts on this

Oberoi

·
Registered
1997, SLK 200
371 Posts
you have also have a white plastic glued to the doors metal after removing door panels. This will in many situations cause a rattling sound when playing music (since there is vacuum in the back of it when playing). really irritating, so if removing door panels, make sure the plastic is glued in place and does not leak. Can also be removed safetly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts