Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post here, but I'm looking at the 2020 or newer GLS 450 and 580 for a family hauler. Would use this vehicle to tow our ~6000 pound trailer and our growing family. Interested to hear those who've had the GLS (even an older model) comment on reliability and it's towing capability, as I know it's rated to tow 7700 pounds.

Trying to decide if I get a GLS or an LX570. Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 GL350
290 Posts
I bought a 2015 GL350 for towing. Did the research and it will fit my needs. 7,500lb tow ability and 20mpg when I'm just in town. If you are ordering new, make SURE you have the trailer hitch package! If the vehicle does not have it, it's a lot for the dealer to install. Any gas powered vehicle will not get the same MPG as gasoil/diesel powered vehicles. The other big thing is how much easier even the 3L V6 tows over the gas 4.5L. Mine has 455lb/ft of torque, and that is what is needed for towing. Check some of the utube videos, with towing and MB, Lexus, or whatever vehicle in the search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a 2015 GL350 for towing. Did the research and it will fit my needs. 7,500lb tow ability and 20mpg when I'm just in town. If you are ordering new, make SURE you have the trailer hitch package! If the vehicle does not have it, it's a lot for the dealer to install. Any gas powered vehicle will not get the same MPG as gasoil/diesel powered vehicles. The other big thing is how much easier even the 3L V6 tows over the gas 4.5L. Mine has 455lb/ft of torque, and that is what is needed for towing. Check some of the utube videos, with towing and MB, Lexus, or whatever vehicle in the search.
Thanks for your feedback. Should have mentioned I'm in the US so we don't get the diesel model MB. The 2020 GLS450 with the hybrid assist has 369lb/ft of torque and the GLS580 has 516lb/ft

·
Registered
2015 GL350
290 Posts
You can't get a bluetec? I'm in Idaho, but had to go to Portland, OR to get the vehicle I wanted. Yes, it is not "new", but I paid 1/3 the price of the new vehicle. I love the fact I can get 27mpg on the highway, and that is measured, not just a guess.

·
Registered
2013 GLK 250
48 Posts
You can't get a bluetec? I'm in Idaho, but had to go to Portland, OR to get the vehicle I wanted. Yes, it is not "new", but I paid 1/3 the price of the new vehicle. I love the fact I can get 27mpg on the highway, and that is measured, not just a guess.
A shame, but MB stopped selling diesels outside of Sprinter in NA. Hold on to yours, as you won't be able to get a newer one again! I would have loved to get a newer MB, mines a 2013, but I believe 2016 or 2017 is the final year for diesel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Awesome cars, enjoy your Bluetec, but by all means don't do the oil changes as Mercedes indicates, I lost my engine at 160K miles, but dead set on rebuilding it, I love the car, CHANGE THE OIL AT 3k MILES!!!!!! please don't believe the bull crap about 10K mile oil changes, its going to cost me over 10K to fix, fortunately they make a better crank in the UK than the soft metal crank Mercedes puts in there from factory, mine never clunked or overheated or even hesitated, just seized, started and went for another 5 miles with no signs of damage and seized again, so fortunately since it had new oil and a full crankcase, and did not overheat, the damage did not go beyond the crank, just very sad that Mercedes sets you up for failure. ENJOY YOUR DIESEL, I am driving a newer gl 550 biturbo and am desperate to saddle up in my diesel again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.