Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not many people seem to be aware of this, but Bosch released a kit to replace the old style glow plugs with hotter ones to fit 123 series and other older diesels. One of my friends has put them in his 300D and I have put them in my 240D. The cars both start from cold in about 7 sec of glow plug. Not bad eh?

The kits come with a relay system - neither of us have fit the relay system and so far have had no trouble burning fuses. As a back up precaution though, I do carry spare 50amp fuses and screwdriver -haven't needed it yet.

I highly recommended upgrade for any 123 owner [:)]

·
Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not ignoring you...

Sorry Bart, not ignoring you, I've misplaced the receipt and can't find the damned part number! Perhaps Ron can help??

If you are out of luck, you could always get them sent through from my mechanic - call Ron Hannigan @ Valley Eurotec in Abbotsford BC (604) 864 8550. He'll know what you're talking about and will be able to post them to you at a good price (without the GST/PST/duty problems of ordering from the US).

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
52 Posts
Would this be the right thing?

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/mercedesshop/wizard...

Would this be the right thing?

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/mercedesshop/wizard.jsp?partner=mercedesshop&year=1983&make=MB&model=240-D-002&category=F&part=Glow+Plug+Kit&appDescription=4+Glow+Plugs+%26+Relay

The part number for that is F1101-60420. I might just hae to pick one of those up [:D]

·
Registered
280SL Pagoda, BMW318
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep, that looks like the one...

Both my friend and I didn't bother putting the relay in though, we just changed the glow plugs. You'll be amazed at how much easier it is to start in the cold weather, even with a motor suffering from low compression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.