Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key to the pre-heat notch how long should the glow plug lite stay on? <br>
<br>
Mine only stays on for about 10 seconds and then I have to turn the key off and back on several times for sufficient pre heating.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have it checked out to make sure, but it's probably a bad pre-glow relay -- a part which we keep in stock and sell regularly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is in the relay, defenatly have them checked.<br> things to look out for:<br> * cut out timer<br> *fuse<br> there mightnt be enough power getting to the plugs<br> <br> check the out put of the altinator, and how old the batt is.<br> <br> there is an option, take the whole system out and have manual pre-glow button. i now have a 300d (2nd one) it has a brand new glow plug system in it, costing about AUD$300, after a surge in power blew out the whole caseing. in our first 300d the previous (and life long owner) had the timer taken out and a manual button put in.<br> in winter hold it down for 30 sec in summer 10-15sec.<br> <br> if u have been driving for a while and the engine is around 80*C then glow time may only need 3sec.<br> <br> good luck <br> <br> louis <br> sydney

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about petrol cars?

Somebody told me that you should wait a few seconds with the key in position 2 before starting the engine. What that be true?<br> (He did mean it on a leaded car not diesel).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: What about petrol cars?

i have never heard that about petrol cars, it might have something to do with batt power build up, any one heard of this?<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Benz 300CD

I have a Benz 300CD with a 5-speed manual. I'd like to know:<br> <br> How much will this thing tow? A 350SL perhaps?<br> How can I increase the fuel milage and efficiency of the 5-banger diesel? <br> What is the largest 14' tire that will fit?<br> <br> Also, would a VW Vanagon mag wheel bolt on this or a W107 SL? 14x6' 112mm bolt pattern and 38mm offset are the specs of said VW wheel. ANy ideas?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glow plug installation

Hello..just bought a 79 300td wagon..need to replace a glow plug...Is this difficult?..I know the 'reamer' tool is around 130$..do I need this, or can I use something else?..Thanks for any help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.