Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my glow plug indicator light stopped working yesterday. the car had a very difficult time starting but finally did. tried the car again this morning but it would not start at all. incidently, the indicator light started working again. i turned the key back and forth several times to allow it to turn on/off hoping it they would heat up. it never worked. i was going to plug it in but i couldn't find an ext. cord to reach so i just took my other car to work. i played with the glow plug relay connector and they all looked clean. i took off the metal strip fuse thing and it looked like it was in fine shape.<p>: what to do? i'm not sure really. i ordered 5 new glow plugs, a new relay, new fuse from performance products to try and fix the problem. i am very much a novice at mechanical work. is this something i'm going to be able to handle? i have the illustrated fix-it book to help guide me. anything in particular i should try before i get started? what should i try to replace first? all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my glow plugs went2 weeks ago ....what a mess<br>there was too much power going to them resulting in failure and the fuse going (by that i mean melting the protective caseing)<br>to get the car started without glow plugs (2 people required)<br>1 soak a rag in unleaded fuel <br>2 disconnect the air intake hose and hold rag at the end<br>3 while someone trys to start the car "slowly" squeez the rag so only one or two drops enter the hose NOTE The car will start using the fuems of the fuel and when the engin fires pull the rag away so that it doesnt get sucked into the compresser IF IT DOSE U R F**KED<br>4 rev the car for a while to warm it up and drive <p>i dont reccomend u doing this reguarley as it isnt healthy for the car

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My glow plugs seem to fail on an irregular interval. Usually most noticeable if more than one is bad and it is cold out. You can check the plugs without removing with a continuity meter. I remove the five prong (I think) plug that is mounted on the drivers side inside fender wall mear teh front and check from teh calbe to any good ground. This will help you find bad plugs without removing extras, as that can be a knuckle scraper. You can also check a plug by connecting the bitter end to a battery charger and the body of the plug to the other lead of the charger. Obviously it works if it gets real hot real fast. You should notice in 2 seconds or so. Also my light on the dash works for a few seconds and then goes out, so I wait about 60 seconds until I hear a click and then it starts. 1984 turbo 300.<br>You could have just suffered the last several plugs failing or the problem may be bigger than this.<br>Good luck<br>[email protected]

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My light was not coming on at all since the time I purchased the vehicle, last august ('82 300TD). I finally had it trying to start the thing in the Vermont winter, so I broke down and purchased 5 new glow plugs (Bosch, $12/ea). I was able to replace 3 of the 5, given the tight working conditions, and fixed my starting problems and all all working as indicated by the light working. once it is warm again I will get after the other two.<p>Looking at the devices, it would seem that they should probably be replaced at regular intervals (so many years or miles), the ones I took out were in extremely poor condition and could have even been original.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: glow plugs/indicator light

Things to know:<br> <br> Sco B did not indicate model, so I will assume the late pin type glow plug in his car. The serial system is quite different.<br> <br> On the pin type, number one is used as the measurment sample for the glow plug relay. It looks for a certain current then turns off the light on the dash. Occasionally just replacing the number one plug will cure many ills. However, testing these plugs with an ohmmeter is usually wasted time. They may make a circuit but are not making sufficient heat, or are shorted to the case. The pin types work well but don't last long. Your best bet is to check the strap fuse in the glow plug relay box. If the fuse is good replace all five glow plugs. I know that there are a few that are challenging on the five cylinders, but it is not that hard to remove the injection tube assembly to gain access. If you will replace them all, you will nine times out of ten cure all glow plug ills. If you then have good glow plugs and still have starting problems, check the compression.<br> <br> Good luck,<br> Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.