Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
01 E320 w/120k
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heya,

well its absolutely freezing here in new york and when i start my car the last couple of days the glow plug light doesnt come on, everything else lights up with the turn of the key, but not the glow plug light. i give the car 10-15 seconds after i put the key in the ignition to play it safe and it starts, but im wondering could this be a problem or just a faulty light?

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Don't overlook the easy stuff

If the way the car starts hasn't changed, I'd suspect that the glow plugs are still working fine and maybe just the bulb in the dash blew out. If a glow plug has failed you should get rougher starts, plus I think the light on the dash is supposed to blink if there's a bad glow plug, not just go out entirely.

I'd check the dash bulb first. If it's good, I'd pull the plug off the glow relay (the one that's on the end of the harness going to the glow plugs) and check the pins there for any "opens". I can get which pins go to glow plugs and which to temp sensors, etc from the manual for you if you need them.

-Dave

·
Registered
mercedes 350sdl, 2005 ML350, 1991 300E 2.6 to 3.0, 1988 300E
165 Posts
You need new plugs, same thing happened to mine, wasted money buying a glow plug relay, i bought my Bosch plugs at Autozone $9.00 each.

·
Registered
01 E320 w/120k
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked out the connection to the plugs and gave the wires a jiggle. i noticed some rust on one plug where the brass nut connects the wire, the other plugs looked ok, ill check more in the a.m. its a little too dark and my flashlight is pathetic.

so now:

preglow indicator lamp still does not light up when the key is switched to position 2, but it does light up in position 3 for about 9 seconds or so and the car will start. i have no idea if its a coincidence or the jiggling did something. i didnt try to start the car til after.

so any ideas?
get new plugs still?

·
Registered
01 E320 w/120k
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one more thing . . . if i get new plugs, do the buggers put up a fight or do they come out nice and easy? any special tools? or leave it to my mechanic?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
By the book: a multimeter should be used to test the resistance of the glow plugs – resistance should be no greater than .5 ohms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts