Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the cold my 300d is having trouble starting.

My glow plug light in the cab works. I went and picked up new glow plugs and I'm changing them now. I replaced one and went to test but it is not getting hot. Tested another one and same thing.

Why are they not heating up?

Bad relay? When I turn the key and wait about 45 seconds I do here a click under the hood which I thought I read is the relay.

Thanks,
Forrest

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
Forest: I am a little confused. How are you testing them? Did you test the old ones? If you check out DieselGiant's website, Russell has a how-to for troubleshooting your glow-plugs. I suggest you check it out. You might have a bad relay, but you will find out for sure when you perform the troubleshooting procedures. It seems to me that the dash light would not work properly if the relay was out.

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
Check the fuse before you go any further- with the cover off of the relay it's the silver strip of metal attached by two screws. They can fail just from corrosion.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last night it got down in the low 20s and it snowed. I went out to start the car this morning and after a few glow plug cycles and attempts it did start.

I think after I change the other 3 glow plugs I should be okay. Is there any way to tell if the old ones are original?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts