Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the reamer tool thing completely needed? i have two bad plugs (still managing to cough my car to life in 10*f) i have heard of people just using a little steal wool and grease, or just cranking the starter to blow it out.

anyone want to confirm these methods for me?

·
Registered
1984 300D 375,000 miles 1996 e300d 266,000 miles 1983 300SD 174,000 miles Ascot Grey
453 Posts
i can tell you i did glow plugs in both of my cars last month. The built-up coke is very hard... several/all plugs were difficult to get out even after they were unthreaded. I used the mercedessource reamer, and although it cost 30 some-odd-dollars, it was very well-made, and did a great job. Still took a decent amount of physical effort. Now there is actually some space between the remaining build-up and the tip of the glow plug to allow fuel/air.
It was the kind of job that i thought was silly until i actually did it, and will always do it from now on. At the least, you could do it with a drill bit.

·
Registered
1983 300D
1,248 Posts
Glow plug reaming is necessary for long glow plug life. Our own forum member 300Dman makes an excellent glow plug reamer at a great low price. You should contact him to see if he has any to sell.

·
Registered
1982 Mercedes Benz 300D Dark Blue
41 Posts
i have done my 1982 300d and the 1985 300d i had a couple of years ago. both cars had significant build up, the reamer from mercedes source did a good job. like mdanielson, even after unscrewing the plugs a couple were hard to pull out . im assuming the the buildup of carbon was the culprit. with both cars i did not know if it had been done before so i did it myself and was pleased with the result.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
The Glow Plug is supposed to heat the Air in the Prechamber. When the Glow Plug is surrounded by Carbon the Heat gets conducted into the Cylinder Head where it is trying to heat up you Head and the Coolant.

When the Glow Plug is cold it pulls higher amps until it gets yellow hot. If Carbon is conducting the heat into the Cylinder Head the Glow Plug continues to pull the high amps because it remains cold longer.

I believe pulling the higher amps for a longer period is what shortens their life.

Some have reported easier starting in cold weather after cleaning/reaming the Carbon out of the Glow Plug hles.

If any one once to contact me when it Rains here I am losing my Dial-Up internet. They say Thursday it is not supposed to rain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts