Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
does anyone know if there is a way to tighten up the door on the glove compartment so its more sung against the striker? mine seems a little loose and rattles sometimes. it almost looks like the dashboard arched in that one place. i've looked at a few pics of other members cars and seen it on some others.

·
Registered
1979 450SEL (On The way), 1980 240D, 1985 300D Turbo, 1989 300E 24v, 2004 C230 Kompressor
54 Posts
If you're worried mines like that, it hasn't broke, and I doubt it will.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
door

I had a '98 E320 in which the glove compartment door vibrated almost constantly---drove me crazy until I cut a little piece of cloth from a handkerchief and placed it over the striker "thingie," then closed the door and, voila, no more vibration. Of course, every time I opened the thing, the cloth fell off, so I had to "reinstall" it to prevent the vibration. Maybe this approach would work on your car.
Hemersam

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
my wife noticed 2 funky looking screw heads on the inside of the door. she used a small tweezer like tool and tightened them and the door was snug as could be. they actually appear to be nuts of something that holds the vinyl part to the black plastic door. whatever, it worked great, never closed better.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
You can remove it and add a shim (washer) on the hinge where it fastens to the dashboard. That's what I did with mine, I know it's not the best way but it did the trick.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone, thank you for your input! I'm going to give all a try! By the way, Karugs congrats on your new position as Moderator!

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo Diesel (I call her my "Hooptie")
41 Posts
Hey everyone,
does anyone know if there is a way to tighten up the door on the glove compartment so its more sung against the striker? mine seems a little loose and rattles sometimes. it almost looks like the dashboard arched in that one place. i've looked at a few pics of other members cars and seen it on some others.
This may result in something broken if you're not careful but I actually took some pliers and bent the hook on the dashboard part in some to tighten mine. Works fantastically, just like new.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo Diesel
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This may result in something broken if you're not careful but I actually took some pliers and bent the hook on the dashboard part in some to tighten mine. Works fantastically, just like new.
Hey thanks JoeBobBenz, I'll look into that at as well. I'm kinda a bull in a china shop if you know what I mean so I hope I dont snap it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts