Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this is my 3rd dealer/factory installed hitch. The first two installtions were complete and ready to tow including connecting the trailer lights to the vehicle.

Today we took delivery of factory installed hitch #3 on a GLK350. Was the installtion tow ready? Not even close.

My question, for GLK, ML, GL, etc. owners: What is included in the M-B factory trailer hitch installation? Right now all I have are the towbar bits attached to the GLK and an empty socket where the lighting pigtail goes to connect to the trailer socket. No ball, no lighting connector from GLK to trailer, not even the plastic cap mentioned in the owner's manual.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It has only taken me from Saturday afternoon to Monday morning to learn everything there is to know about the GLK + factory hitch + making it work. That means I know more than my dealer. Surprise!

They do send you home with a box of really good cookies in your new GLK 350 4MATIC.

Wayne

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:

The dealership will pay for the missing pieces. While I am there, I will quiz them on whether or not these parts actually exist and were omitted from my vehicle by mistake. Stay tuned.

Wayne

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told thousands of dollars. When our dealer couldn't locate a car with a hitch AND the other options we wanted, we custom ordered and waited 11 weeks. The best car buying decision we ever made. During that time, the M-B conquest rebate was extended to our Volvos and saved us enough money to pay for the hitch.

Be prepared to spend an additional $60-$70 to make the factory installed hitch work.

Wayne

PS: I spoke to a nice lady at MBUSA in New Jersey. The factory hitch comes with a plastic cover. That's all folks. My plastic cover was missing at delivery. A replacement was ordered and waiting for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the cost of a dealer installed trailer hitch for a 2011 GLK350?
Sorry. I misunderstood. You already have a 2011 GLK 350. You will be better served with an aftermarket hitch. There are several around. Search the internet. Google knows.

Wayne

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
There is no dealer installed hitch for GLK, really. Same with the W166 ML, and the GL.. MB factory installed only, much better frame mounting than aftermarket in my opinion. Overall good value if for no other reason that a rear collision "stop's the other car dead".

I am not defending MB, but the trailer hitch is offered (like most other luxury brands) and as a hitch - and not sold as "trailer ready" meaning not sold with electrical hook ups.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
...I am not defending MB, but the trailer hitch is offered (like most other luxury brands) and as a hitch - and not sold as "trailer ready" meaning not sold with electrical hook ups.

Keep the beat !
That statement isn't true. Volvo supplies a ready to use hitch either from the factory or from the dealer. Mercedes-Benz supplies a ready to use hitch with the ML as well as with the GLK in Europe. The GLK supplied to the Colonies is incomplete. Mercedes-Benz does not include ANY connections between the vehicle and the trailer. Nothing to attach the trailer to the vehicle and no way to connect the GLK wiring to the trailer wiring. Which is ok if that's how they want to do it. They need to put that information out for the buying public. Instead of, "Surpise! You need to visit a parts store on your way home after taking delivery of your new GLK."

Wayne

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am not defending MB, but the trailer hitch is offered (like most other luxury brands) and as a hitch - and not sold as "trailer ready" meaning not sold with electrical hook ups.
It depends of course on ones point of view, however was/is our factory installed OEM trailer hitch "plug'n play (drive)" - an option in Europe.

How it looks like: Tow Hitch & Wiring DIY - Big Savings - MBWorld.org Forums. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
The factory delivery is complete, just plug what's to be towed & drive.:eclipsee_steering:
To be stowed in the cargo compartment when not needed, if so wished.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So what was the outcome? Missing pieces replaced and installed by dealer? Are you now "tow ready"?
The factory delivery is complete, just plug what's to be towed & drive.:eclipsee_steering:
To be stowed in the cargo compartment when not needed, if so wished.
For U.S. vehicles:

The only missing "part" was the plastic cover for the empty reciever. Ordered by dealer. Installed by me.
As for the rest of the items required to tow something, I found and paid for them and the dealer reimbursed me. The dealer was not required to do this as MBUSA doesn't supply those parts. The dealer paid for the parts for good will.
If ordering the hitch, have the dealer specify what is and is NOT included.

Wayne

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks. Will check on this for my GLK. FYI, when my ML was delivered, the factory tow package was complete and "tow ready". I did however need the ball, but I noticed the 2012 Ml's comes with a ball.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That execuhitch looks pretty impressive!! Well thought out design.
Would definitely consider on a future vehicle, but I already ordered this GLK with factory hitch.
Hopefully by time I am ready again, this hitch will be an OEM thing.:D

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Factory hitch has Electronic Stability Control - aftermarket not

Just so you know, the factory hitch install includes changing out the rear SAM module for the ETS - and that is how the Electronic Trailer Stability Control for the GLK gets added.

If you buy a aftermarket hitch - yes, you get a hitch - but you do not get Electronic Trailer Stability Control.

Until such time as the factory hitch becomes available for MB dealer install (like it did in the later life of the W164/ML350's) - until that time dealers do not have access to that module needed to activate the Electronic Trailer Stability feature.

Inquiring minds needs to know ..... that upgrade to the GLK ETS system, kicks in slective front wheel braking in response to rear trailer swaying (like coming into a cross-wind blast coming out of tunnel/canyon - so it doesn't make sense if you are going to be doing legitimate towing to shortchange yourself on this stability program.

Where its Mercedes they have reasons to do what they do 0 not saying I agree all the time - but on this $550 hitch you get increased rear collision safety, tow capacity, and Electronic trailer Stability Control - so for most it becomes a top value !

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for most helpful clarification. In addition to satisfying Mrs. Wayne's demand that a trailer hitch should be hidden, the additional safety features satisfy my requirements.
M-B should supply the hitch with all of the required hardware.

Wayne

1 - 20 of 23 Posts