Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace a leaking radiator on my GLK350 2013 it has option 917 PCEV and a sensor mounted on the radiator.
The sensor is glued in and of course broke when I pullde out.
I got a new sensor and MB recommends to use Loctite 4204 some $40 for 20g and nobody loyally has it.
2 questions
-can I use an a different adhesive?
-where do I put the glue and how much, is it just to hold it in place or is the glue actually a heat conductor.

thanks
Paul
20200130_145421.jpg

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,174 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for your help with my W201 by the way. It is still not running but...

Looks like some high temperature stable ethyl cyanoacrylate. This is unusual because cyanoacrylate aka super glue is not usually good with heat as I understand.

It is expensive but I would not risk using something else unless we find another ethyl cyanoacrylate product that is heat stable. (I just looked for Loctite 4204 just now to see what I could find available. I've ordered specified versions online before).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,174 Posts
Interesting note on that page, it seems that stuff needs to be kept COLD before use as it needs to be shipped overnight with an ice brix.

"Product must ship with ice brix via overnight service."

Special glue indeed!!!

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,174 Posts
Seems like the Ellsworth company has consolidated EU operations to the UK:

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is I need my inspection done this weekend and the check engine is on. I'm going to install the sensor without glue or just enough to keep it in place and get back to it later. I will report here.
Further I did some research,
PCEV or Partial Zero Emmision is a ultra low emission standard, I found this on MB's web page: The radiator has a coding that acts as a catalytic converter and turns ozone (not from your care) into O2.
So its like a vacuum cleaner for ozone. I think this is a good thing just funny nobody really knows about it.
The radiator has a sensor glued to it that measures temperature. Some non MB pages also think it measure ozone but I don't think that's true. In EPC/WIS the call it a radiator identification sensor.
Unfortunately I did not know this when I purchased the aftermarket radiator. I got one that was suppose to fit the PCEV option. It has the place for the sensor but no coating.
The electrical connection to the ECM is on the LIN data bus so there is no easy way to check what its really doing.
Paul

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I decided to use a off the shelf glue Loctite can handle up to 550 deg F $8 at home depot, I only use a minimum to make sure I can pull it back out if needed.
I actually think it would hold without glue its a pretty tight fit with clips. Drove around 100 mi city and HW CEL is still off.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,174 Posts
Good find! Glad it worked out for you!

·
Registered
2005 E500 4MATIC
63 Posts
Ur lucky that u wear able to purchase the sensor separate. VW/Audi sells the radiator and sensor as one unit. Which forces you to be the OEM one. The sensor itself is an emission control device thus the regulators made them put a tamper device in it, that if u try to remove it, it will break either at the sensor or wire. The wire is a break away design too. And u dont know until u go to start the car and see the CEL.

We got one at our shop, that was previously at another shop, that thru in a aftermarket radiator and tried to glue the sensor. Then they tried to buy the sensor and found it it was a no go.

If the car came with the option. It has to work, that's why it throw on the CEL. The manufacturers got huge emissions credits for having that device installed, which in turn lowered there total combine emissions between all vehicles.

Sent from my Galaxy S10+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 E500 4MATIC
63 Posts
This is already 8 year old technology, wait till u see what's next. Mechanics are gonna need mechanics to work on their cars soon. Lol

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about VW but on my car, I later found out, I could have used Vediamo to and disable the option. Would have saved me the money for the sensor ($75 on ebay) If I would have known about the coating I would have purchased the right radiator.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,571 Posts
Very interesting stuff!

FYI: PZEV-Emission is an option code on the data card (917). Anyone curious if they have this type equipment on their vehicle can look for that code to know for sure.

< Edit: Ooops, I see that info is in already the first post. Blame it on the COVID. 😋 >

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,174 Posts
Very interesting stuff!

FYI: PZEV-Emission is an option code on the data card (917). Anyone curious if they have this type equipment on their vehicle can look for that code to know for sure.

< Edit: Ooops, I see that info is in already the first post. Blame it on the COVID. >
I hope the smiley face means you haven't acquired it!

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,571 Posts
I hope the smiley face means you haven't acquired it!

I have not, but it’s an easy scapegoat. 🤣

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW at the beginning I did not know about the PZEV option and ordered the wrong radiator. I also got a wrong radiator delivered for a CLK350 (eBay) the seller does not want it back.
So I have a GLK350 (2014) Radiator no PZEV and a CLK350 no PZEV for sale if somebody is interested. Brand new $60 + shipping.

·
Registered
2005 E500 4MATIC
63 Posts
Did you type that twice or do you have two extra radiators?

Did you check the listing? Does it say its eligible for return? If it is, he has to take it back. And paypal should back u on it. Most of the time, it shows returns accepted under the description.

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you type that twice or do you have two extra radiators?

Did you check the listing? Does it say its eligible for return? If it is, he has to take it back. And paypal should back u on it. Most of the time, it shows returns accepted under the description.

I actually have 2, one was my fault could not send it back, the other I got a refund but they don't want it back told me to dispose of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 E500 4MATIC
63 Posts
What year is ur CLK? I wonder if that radiator is the same for a w204. If so, I could buy it and keep it, incase I need it in the near future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts