Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
C-230
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,
After 1 week and not even 200 miles my wife's 2011 wheels are loaded with brake dust. Anyone else have this? I was thinking brake pads were getting better at making a mess so quick. Any chance its just cause its new? Any thoughts or info on this subject in general is greatly appreciated!
Pete

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
Everybody that owns any model Mercedes or BMW has this.

Put car wax on your wheels so it doesn't stick as much and so it washes off really easy.

This is NOT a problem, it's a "feature."

And, the GL forum isn't the GLK forum.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Slow down! It's not a car it's an SUV!

Your wife is driving too aggressively, hence the excessive reliance on the brakes.

More spacing, let off on the gas and coast to decelerate, plan ahead.

Typical of somebody not familar with heavier vehicles, they rely on the brakes to simulate car like performance and wear the brakes out excessively. Worse yet you have no margin for error and the vehicles heavier mass will cause an accident.

The bigger the vehicle the less you should be touching the brakes.

Ask me how often I touch the brakes in my 747 when tootling around on the ramp? If I'm going too fast, I SHUT AN ENGINE DOWN and taxi on 3 or even 2 engines when light to avoid reliance on the brakes....then again a brake job I hear is around $750,000, bean counters say the fuel saved is more than the brakes...who knows.

Take that GLK out, get it up to 80 mph, SLAM on the brakes to a full stop and note how long it takes to stop. Drive another car next to her, have both slam on the brakes, note how much further she travels. That distances is what needs to be added when following other vehicles + 50%.

What scares me more than anything are people in SUV's that have no comprehension of mass and inertia and instead rely on the systems to the point of excess to keep them out of harms way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts