Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
W126, R107, W210 AMG, W221
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have recently bought a stunning '92 Brilliant Silver W124 300 CE-24 which I truly love as I think it is one of the best cars ever made (along with the whole W124, W123 and W126 line) and it makes me smile every time I drive it.
I'm aiming for 100% stock original condition during repairs and restoration.
However, there is one little detail, the original sunroof has broken down, to be precise, it doesn't close evenly and is also a bit rusty which made me think of a replacement.
Is it possible to "upgrade" to a glass sunroof? W123 got it, W140 got it, W210 got it .. why not W124? Please help, any advice will be highly appreciated :bow: :y

·
Registered
see my signature.
909 Posts
I am interested in doing something similar as well.

I am considering getting an extra sunroof panel from the wrecking yard, and taking it to a glass shop to see if they can cut and install a piece of glass into it....

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
I remember hearing about someone attempting to install a 210 moonroof in a 124, but that all I know. I think this would be a very cool modification if done right. Someone with both chassis available should measure the opening to determine compatibility.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
If the opening is the same, then I assume if it's to work, you'd be swapping over the entire assembly, which would include the rails. I gather the 210 moonroof also has the sliding sunshade.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hello all! I have recently bought a stunning '92 Brilliant Silver W124 300 CE-24 which I truly love as I think it is one of the best cars ever made (along with the whole W124, W123 and W126 line) and it makes me smile every time I drive it.
I'm aiming for 100% stock original condition during repairs and restoration.
However, there is one little detail, the original sunroof has broken down, to be precise, it doesn't close evenly and is also a bit rusty which made me think of a replacement.
Is it possible to "upgrade" to a glass sunroof? W123 got it, W140 got it, W210 got it .. why not W124? Please help, any advice will be highly appreciated :bow: :y
W123 never had a factory glass sunroof. I don't think the W140 did as well, maybe the later models did.

If anything it will have to be custom and you'll have to figure out a way to hide the sunroof cable (that runs underneath the sunroof panel) out of sight.

·
Registered
A124 W124 C124
154 Posts
This owner added one to his custom 300E, no details in his thread: Mercedes Benz VIP Style - MBWorld.org Forums

The important thing to match is the surface as some cars have more curve to their roofs. If the other Benz sunroofs have a removable pocket frame like the W124 you can just adapt and if necessary weld in the roof frame of the donor car. Lots of work but anythings possible...

Justins idea of replacing the existing sunroof panel with glass is good but you can't cut tempered glass and don't want to use plain glass on a car. Hot rod customizers use flat laminated glass for custom pieces. I think the simplest method is to use a smaller laminated or polycarbonate glass mounted into the existing sunroof panel. Then add a removable panel to block the sun when you want shade or configure it to slide back.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
This would be a totally cool mod.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I found a C280 this weekend at the yard. Pulled the glass piece. It was too small for the 124 but perfect for the 190. The mount bolts on the side line right up and I am guessing the fronts would too from a w210. Previous posts stated that it would require the whole sunroof plan but at this point I would lay good money its just a straight swap for the panel itself.

Progress!

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Cool, take pics. I have the complete 124 sunroof assembly removed from a TD, so let me know if you need pics or measurements. I wish there were a wrecked 210 closer by, so I could pull the glass and shade pieces.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
It may be time to head back to the U-Pull-It where there is an off-white W210...

That is a mod I'd really like.

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,953 Posts
140's have glass sunroofs that could be retrofitted to the 126, sunshade an all. I don't think such a direct retrofit exists for the 124 but would be worth looking in to

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
So. Curvature of the roof is a wee bit different, and there is 1mm on each side and 2mm in front with 0mm in rear. The 124 rear curves up more in the rear and the 210 curves up a bit more in the middle. Also unlike the c280, the 210mount to the rails on the front by attaching to the sunroof on the side. I had to cut the sunroof rail in half. Also there needs to be some washers between the sunroof and the mounts.

I got it in under 2 hours but it is far from perfect so far. It does not go back more than a 1/4 of the way. I have yet to see what the hangup is. I will go back to the yard and look at the 210 seal, I have a feeling its "poofier". Of course my phone was about dead and couldnt take pics :(

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
W123 never had a factory glass sunroof. I don't think the W140 did as well, maybe the later models did.

If anything it will have to be custom and you'll have to figure out a way to hide the sunroof cable (that runs underneath the sunroof panel) out of sight.
The W140 did have them after the facelift in 1996

1 - 17 of 17 Posts