Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a swirl of small fine scratches on my front windshield right at my eye level. Quite possibly the former owner might have took a steel pad or something to the windshield in order to remove a stain or something, and ended up scratching up the glass.

Does anybody know how I can take scratches out of glass? I haven't had any luck, even though I know it can be done. I also have a jar or Cerium Oxide that I tried to use but either I did it wrong or need a machine, cause it didn't do anything.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1995 Silver S-320
681 Posts
maybe try those really cheap eyeglass scratch repair solutions you see on tv. Don't wear glass's so never had the chance to try it but if it works i can't see why it can't fix fine scratches on a windshield.

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
Do a search on this forum as it was covered not long ago.

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jayhawk said:
You might want to check out this site: Caswell Inc. - Glass Polishing Kit
Ah, exactly what I need to do. I already have the Cerium Powder (spent $50 on it!!) so just need the polishing wheel. The problem is...I can't tell if its on the inside or outside, as I can't feel it on either!! Any advice on how to figure this out??? Magnifying glass maybe??

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
hawaiiannights808 said:
Ah, exactly what I need to do. I already have the Cerium Powder (spent $50 on it!!) so just need the polishing wheel. The problem is...I can't tell if its on the inside or outside, as I can't feel it on either!! Any advice on how to figure this out??? Magnifying glass maybe??
I'm not really sure, but it seems likely that the reason whoever did it was probably trying to fix a stone chip/s--wouldn't you think? I can't imagine what could have happened on the inside of the windshield that would cause a problem, but one never knows. You might try putting some magic marker ink on the glass outside to see if it shows differently than on a clear part of glass. Not sure about a magnifying glass, but give it a try. Let us know what happens.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,113 Posts
If you shop around, for $200 you can have new name brand glass installed.

·
Registered
2003 E500
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Teutone said:
If you shop around, for $200 you can have new name brand glass installed.
$200!?? I guess you've never lived in Hawaii before, where everything costs 5,000x times as much as things on the mainland. And we have no choice as we live on a rock and can't drive to another state unless we paid extra for the James Bond submersible package. :)

I can buy something on the internet that costs $5, and pay $40 shipping on it to Hawaii....hahaha...... gotta love, and gotta hate this island we call home.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
if you have comprehensice insurance, it's covered. Getting mine done tomorrow because of years of highway travel, it's a little sandblasted and vision is impaired. if you tell them that at certain times of the day when the sun hits it just right, you can't see, they will cover it. Mine is covered 100%. not costing me a dime...

·
Registered
w204 (C350ELE)
1,262 Posts
Hallo, Hawaian Nights 808:

Whatever you use, make sure it is for automotive windshields. Diamondite has a long line of products to solve windshield scratches. Superior Car Care, among others, sell them and have on their site tutorials on how to use.

To detect the side of the scratch, take a thin plastic bag or clean clear wrapper and set it over the area, pass your fingers softly and see if you can feel it.

Cheers, JV :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts