Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is more important from a value standpoint for the 96-02 models. A glass (panoramic roof) or the sport package? I haven't found too many with both. I know the 01 & 02 models all came with the sport package.
I am looking at buying an R129. My preference is a 98 as I like the two tone seats and the Old style wheel, which matches my 99 S600.

Any suggestions as to which is more preferable?

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
244 Posts
Value wise as a whole package, neither really. I would not pay a premium for the glass roof over $500 if all other things were equal. Same goes for sport package. That said, as used parts, the roof command $2-3k sale price and a Sport Package body kit commands about $2k. Neither one is made any longer, so if the Sport Package bumper gets damaged, you are stuck either crappy aftermarket, or you can try to find a used one in good shape and pay out your nose. Plus the fitting costs and paint. If you break the glass on the roof, again, you are relying on the secondary market.

So, my bottom line, I would buy the car with the better service history, less wear, and better color (we all like different colors). I would not make a purchase decision based on Sport Package or pano roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
4,153 Posts
I would say the pano roof is an excellent addition, but that is only if you leave the roof on the car. As a convertible the top tends to get put down. After not having the pano on for a few years I intend next year to put it on. I really enjoy the roof when it is on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go whichever one you like. Who cares about making the next person happy?

Pano roof is hard to find, and is also quite heavy. I like the brake upgrades and interior enhancements of the 99-02 and definitely preferred the AMG styling. A silver arrow or Designo edition will give you that 2 town interior. I found plenty of those AMG Mononlock wheels for sale 2nd hand if that is what you’re after.

·
M20
4,782 Posts
The pano roof is nice but thats not why you bought a convertible. All things being equal in condition (which they are likely not) I would go for the sport package

·
Premium Member
1997 SL500 Sport pano and 2010 R350 4Matic
298 Posts
I have a ‘97 Sport with pano top. The pano top looks great stored on a cart, covered, in the rear corner of my garage...
I put the top on whenever I move houses but never when I move (drive) the car.

Cover and cart from Amazon

North American Custom Covers Compatible Hardtop Cover and Hard Top Stand for Mercedes-Benz R129 SL Class https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017JH78M4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pq1QDbEKBRHS1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 SL R129 Final Edition brillant black
101 Posts
I'd go for the glass roof. The sport package is nice but really a question of taste, many don't see that much value in just having a different kind of bumpers, however the wheels I think do make a difference but you can get them independently anyway.
The glass roof is really cool as it feels a bit like driving open despite having the roof on, it provides a little more headspace than the standard hardtop as well. If however you are located in a state where the sun is always up and you can drive with an open top all days it does not give you any value of course.

See the pic to get an idea of the real purpose 😆

·
Registered
97 SL600 Pano, ex: 96 (late 95) SL320
229 Posts
I'd go for the glass roof. The sport package is nice but really a question of taste, many don't see that much value in just having a different kind of bumpers, however the wheels I think do make a difference but you can get them independently anyway.
The glass roof is really cool as it feels a bit like driving open despite having the roof on, it provides a little more headspace than the standard hardtop as well. If however you are located in a state where the sun is always up and you can drive with an open top all days it does not give you any value of course.

See the pic to get an idea of the real purpose 😆

Fully agreed! If you live in a climate where you get to use a hardtop, it's a no-brainer - the pano is amazing. I used to own an R129 with a regular hardtop and even then I loved the hardtop look, but now, putting on the pano is a real joy, even if it usually means summer's (almost) gone :) And it makes those sunny winter days much nicer.

·
Registered
2000 SL R129 Final Edition brillant black
101 Posts
Fully agreed! If you live in a climate where you get to use a hardtop, it's a no-brainer - the pano is amazing. I used to own an R129 with a regular hardtop and even then I loved the hardtop look, but now, putting on the pano is a real joy, even it it usually means summer's (almost) gone :) And it makes those sunny winter days much nicer.
Exactly! Interestingly just this Saturday I walked into the garage and wondered if it is not yet time to put that pano on, I can't wait to do it because the car just looks killer with it and it does sort of transform and lighten up the car. I quickly checked the weather report and it said that after a very rainy October so far we will now get some more good sunshine this week so I left it there but not for long any more... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts