Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
W124
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mnaintain my cars out of my small garage but have always wanted to add a glass bead cabinet to my tool set. Harbor Freight and a lot of others are selling relatively inexpensive stand-up cabinets that claim they only require 5cfm of air volume at 90lbs of compressor pressure. I know that a 10cfm or more flow would be ideal but I don't have a compressor that size. My question is whether or not any of my brothers on this site have any comments/experience with the smaller 5cfm set-ups.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
13,184 Posts
I have a neighbor that restores old Harleys and has a bead blaster in his garage. I'll see him this weekend and find out about the cfm requirements on his unit. I think his also came from Harbor Freight. I know that's where he buys his bead material.

Jayare

·
Registered
W124
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jayare, I look forward to hearing. In the meantime, anyone else have any experience with glass beading?

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
Thanks Jayare, I look forward to hearing. In the meantime, anyone else have any experience with glass beading?
Try some other blast media , lizard litter from pet stores is walnut shell grit , plastic media can remove softer paint & primer leaving the zinc or Cad. plating (its pricey ) .

A custom bike frame builder says normal silica ( sand ) is better on steel as glass beads can ruin prep for chrome plating .

Seems you can buy 25 lb of glass beads at most suppliers . While it is the best for small part cleaning /rust removable . Two issues surface , on a floor its like ball bearings ,, easy to slip . You need to keep your air and cabinet dry ,,,, once its damp it wont go up the hose . The others I have listed "will"

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Be SURE you get yourself a good water separator...moisture in the 'sand' etc will gum up the works Quickly.. Also, having a strong vacuum/dust collector on the box will help quite a bit as it'll allow you to see what your doing..!

Jonathan

·
Registered
W124
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks jhodg5ck and uboater for the advice. Water separator sounds like its essential and I need to learn more about media for sure.

·
Registered
1988 300E, 2006 E350 wagon
278 Posts
tuttebenne, are you looking to use this for body work? or just to clean up small parts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts