Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'08 GL450
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased the car used from Florida, and the rear bumper step pad is faded. She is Must Be Obeyed has directed that it be replaced. Before I tackle the project, does anyone know if this is a simple "pop on pop off" task or does the bumper need to come off? I have the replacement part, and it appears to just have tabs for installation, but I have learned to ask.

In the second picture, the floor of the garage has diamondplate tiles that I put down quite some time ago.

·
Registered
'08 GL450
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I followed a thread on Benzworld to another forum with a chrome option that people seem to be taping on with 3m double side tape...Stainless rear bumper plate - MBWorld.org Forums

And that may be an option, but still curious about the process for replacing the original properly if anyone knows.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Gotta use some brute force. I used a flat head screwdriver; taped the edge with tape as to not scratch the paint, went in from the right corner and then just pry it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rear step pad

Mine started to fade out I opt. not to replace it . Instead I applied Forever black to the rear step and it looks good as new.

·
Registered
2007 GL450
5 Posts
I had no problem removing the ugly stock plastic one from the bumper (2007 450). Took the new (chrome) to a body shop. Guys over there cut off a few plastic pins and left all of those that have a "lip" that goes into the bumper hole that locks. No tape, a little force, sits as if it was instaled at the Benz factory in Deutschland. I even tried to force it back off. Can't do. Looks very nice.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts