Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how I can play 1 movie on both the rear seats dvd players?
The system was installed by Mercedes, not aftermarket. I know the older models had another dvd player under the rear seat, but this 2011 model does not.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2011 GL450
17 Posts
I'm getting my dvds installed at dealer tomorrow but from what ive read if you insert the dvd into the dash player you can display the video on all monitors whereas if you put a dvd into the back player it will only be viewable on those.

·
Registered
2011 GL450
17 Posts
How much does it cost to have dealer installed the DVD if my GL has pre-wire option? Thanks.
2011 Sticker price new from the factory is 1950. The local dealer listed as 2050 on my papers though. I considered aftermarket as its much cheaper. In-headrest isnt an option due to the MB headrest restraint system and airbags and i noticed resell for factory dvd was pretty reasonable. I doubted aftermarket would look as clean so we had them throw it in. They said the pre-wiring (which stickers for $170) didn't really make a difference on the installation cost but I think it should mean it costs $170 less to have it installed. If you are going in after the original purchase I'd try to get it for $1950-170 at the most based on their pricing. I'm think the cost to dealer is closer to $1800 if even that

·
Registered
2007 GL 450
16 Posts
Rosen DVD System is Great

I put a Rosen AV7500 DVD system in my GL. I purchased it on EBAY for $1059 and installed it myself. It took about 5 hours to put in but an installer quoted me $150 to have them do it. The Rosen allows my kids to watch the same movie or have them each watch their own individual DVD. It also has 40 games built in and comes with wireless video game controllers. Another feature is a FM modulator that allows the DVD audio to be played via the car's stereo. There are RCA jacks to plug in other quipment and it has a USB port to view pictures or videos from a thumb drive. Overall it has been a great addition to my GL.

·
Registered
'08 GL450
17 Posts
We used the Rosen 7700's. Dual DVD's. Plays from one or both on each, IR headphones or over the car stereo. I think about $1500 installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 07 GL450 left rear DVD screen won't display DVD! Right screen is functioning normally but the left screen is displaying aux 2 and an option to adjust the bass. I cannot get it off this screen, help!

·
Registered
2007 GL450 & 2000 E320 4matic
145 Posts
I had the center console mounted DVD Player. Needless to say, it jammed up and I have been unsuccessful in removing. Of course the dealer wants 1800 for new one, or I can go with the dual screen retro fit kit 1500. I am going with the dual screen retro kit, but I am going to do it myself. Any advice here or diy's? If there isn't one, perhaps I can take some photos and post a diy as I think this is a rip off from the dealer. I got the parts for 700.

·
Registered
2007 GL450 & 2000 E320 4matic
145 Posts
I think Ebay is the best option for replacement remotes or Amazon. In my search, I found several replacement remote and headphone options there. I am pretty sure you will be able to get it cheaper than $200. The biggest thing to look into will be whether or not it needs to be programmed or anything. I highly doubt this, but you will probably need to check.

·
Registered
GL450 2007
11 Posts
I put a Rosen AV7500 DVD system in my GL. I purchased it on EBAY for $1059 and installed it myself. It took about 5 hours to put in but an installer quoted me $150 to have them do it. The Rosen allows my kids to watch the same movie or have them each watch their own individual DVD. It also has 40 games built in and comes with wireless video game controllers. Another feature is a FM modulator that allows the DVD audio to be played via the car's stereo. There are RCA jacks to plug in other quipment and it has a USB port to view pictures or videos from a thumb drive. Overall it has been a great addition to my GL.
Would you please let me know how to remove the DVD player from under the rear seat.
Thaks
Iwin

·
Registered
08 GL550, 88 Mercedes 260E, 82 C10(lowered), 73 MGB(last of the chrome bumpers)
118 Posts
Anymore info on this. My DVD player will work sometimes and sometimes not. Keep getting a disc read error. I would like to know of options to replace the DVD unit. Anyone?

·
Registered
GL450 2007
11 Posts
Would you please let me know how to remove the DVD player from under the rear seat.
Thanks
Iwin

·
Registered
08 GL550, 88 Mercedes 260E, 82 C10(lowered), 73 MGB(last of the chrome bumpers)
118 Posts
I purchased this. It is very small. I use the inputs on the front of the player. I got a couple of 32g cards and installed my kid's favorite movies. It works great, is solid start. I currently use the DC plug in the middle console but I am going to hardwire it later. Micca Speck Ultra-Portable Media Player | Micca Electronics

·
Registered
Mercedes E 320 CDI 2006; Gl 320 CDI 2008
29 Posts
You need to remove the seat. Be careful the seat has two electrical connectors on the other side of the seat base (left side). Then peel the carpet. Remove the protective metal cover. Be careful is extremely sharp. You access the DVD player after you remove the top plastic cover. The DVD player has two cable connectors and one power connector.

·
Registered
GL450 2007
11 Posts
You need to remove the seat. Be careful the seat has two electrical connectors on the other side of the seat base (left side). Then peel the carpet. Remove the protective metal cover. Be careful is extremely sharp. You access the DVD player after you remove the top plastic cover. The DVD player has two cable connectors and one power connector.
Thank you, Ovi. I will try it on a warm day. Mean while, I will look out for the tools. I will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks
Iwin Andrew

1 - 20 of 22 Posts