Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need some advice. I am going to buy another vehicle in the near future for a family of 4. I will be buying a used GL or R more than likely. How does everyone like their GL? I need the pros and cons. I drive an M class now. Please give me some advice on what to buy (another mercedes,etc.). The M, GL, or R. I will not be taking it off road but may be using the vechicle to tow a medium size boat. It also would be nice to be able to fit 7 people when I need to. For those of you that have a GL, do you have any regrets? I have had a few problems with the ML I bought new, but I love the way it drives and handles and the safety features. Please let me know so I can make the best decision.
Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
The current generation ml, gl, and r all are based on a reinforced unibody frame (like a car). Since you can pretty much get the same engines in all 3 vehicles and similar features. Differences are going to be weight, number of passengers, and form factor. A two year old r class is probable the best bang for the buck money wise. I would also consider diesel. I like the gl but it is huge. Consider used though to save money. New vehicles take a $20-30k hit over the first two years.

·
Registered
2004 E320 wagon sport, 2006 R500
81 Posts
Since you can pretty much get the same engines in all 3 vehicles and similar features. Differences are going to be weight, number of passengers, and form factor. A two year old r class is probable the best bang for the buck money wise. I would also consider diesel. I like the gl but it is huge. Consider used though to save money. New vehicles take a $20-30k hit over the first two years.
An R-class will take a HUGE hit on depreciation due to its unpopularity. You'll lose hand over foot on the R even after two years. The diesel GL is the least depreciating model, gets 25 highway mpg, has ample room for 7 and can tow 7500 lbs making it a very practical car.
The R also has room for 7 but not the towing nor cargo capacity. On the other hand it is cheaper because hardly anyone wants one.
The ML will not accomodate 7 in any degree of comfort.
The higher entry cost of the diesel GL wipes out the fuel savings (in most areas where diesel is cheaper than premium) but if you plan on keeping it for more than 5 years the diesel is a great choice. If not, two-three year old GL450s are plentiful and a good deal if you snag one at the bottom of the depreciation slope.
As previously stated, all models are available with the same engines.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
Yeah I agree on the R with depreciation thats why i thought it was a good buy. Since its the form factor people dont like not the function. It seats 6 and they are a family of 4. The ML is the smallest and perhaps most versatile. I just think the GL is a honker and I'm not sure i'd want to drive it everywhere. Although I think the design language on the GL the most united.

I see over a dozen diesel R Class (some 4matic) on Autotrader for under $30k.

·
Registered
128 Posts
GL is nice but.....

I've owned a ML, R, and now a GL450. GL450 is our favorite MB product thus far. If you want to carry 7 people in comfort, both the R class and the GL will do a fine job. I would disagree with the others regarding the depreciation of the R class, mainly because of the good deals that are out there. That's a whole new discussion though. I think the new 2011 R class looks really nice and I'm actually going to look into one soon. Since the demand for a R class is lower than the GL, you will definitely find a better deal; not sure about the 2011 model though.
As for the GL450 we like the way it drives, however it's a real gas guzzler. I believe the R class gets better MPG but not by very much. We are averaging around 15mpg (hwy&city combined) in the GL450. As someone metioned above, if you need to tow the GL is your vehicle. It has plenty of power and torque. IMO, the R delivers the same luxury and comfort for 7 passengers as the GL but the GL has a little more cargo room than the R. The GL450/550 is quicker than the R class if that matters to you.
The only complaint about our GL450 is it's reliability. It's been in the shop 4 times in its first year; in fact, it will go in again next week for more warranty work; we've never had any issues with the R class. Because of this, we are looking at dumping our GL in the next year or so.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
I thought the R class was strictly 6 passengers. You said the GL was quicker but did they have the same engine? Because I thought the R was lighter.

·
Registered
GL450
69 Posts
I've owned a ML, R, and now a GL450. GL450 is our favorite MB product thus far. If you want to carry 7 people in comfort, both the R class and the GL will do a fine job. I would disagree with the others regarding the depreciation of the R class, mainly because of the good deals that are out there. That's a whole new discussion though. I think the new 2011 R class looks really nice and I'm actually going to look into one soon. Since the demand for a R class is lower than the GL, you will definitely find a better deal; not sure about the 2011 model though.
As for the GL450 we like the way it drives, however it's a real gas guzzler. I believe the R class gets better MPG but not by very much. We are averaging around 15mpg (hwy&city combined) in the GL450. As someone metioned above, if you need to tow the GL is your vehicle. It has plenty of power and torque. IMO, the R delivers the same luxury and comfort for 7 passengers as the GL but the GL has a little more cargo room than the R. The GL450/550 is quicker than the R class if that matters to you.
The only complaint about our GL450 is it's reliability. It's been in the shop 4 times in its first year; in fact, it will go in again next week for more warranty work; we've never had any issues with the R class. Because of this, we are looking at dumping our GL in the next year or so.
Seriously? 4 times in its first year? What were the problems? I've never had problems with mine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I thought the R class was strictly 6 passengers. You said the GL was quicker but did they have the same engine? Because I thought the R was lighter.
2011 R class offers the 7 seat option. The GL is quicker because of the bigger engine. GL: 0-60mph in 6.7 seconds. R: 0-60mph in 8.0 seconds. The V8 sounds much nicer than the R350's V6. I never cared for that V6.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Seriously? 4 times in its first year? What were the problems? I've never had problems with mine.
Check Engine Light came on twice within the first month. First time I took it in, the service guy told me it was the gas cap and sent me home. On the way home, it came on again and took it right back (those idiots!). After keeping it for a couple of days, they had to finally call MB headquarters. MB determined that it was a fuel relief valve. So far so good after that fix.
Two weeks later, transmission cooler failed. One morning, I found a huge puddle of fluid under the car. That was the 3rd visit to the dealer. The 4th visit was for windows not coming/going all the way down in the "auto" mode; this was a simple fix. Everything was good until recently when the front end started making a squeaking noise going over speed bumps. I took it in last week and the dealer determined they needed to replace the control arms. None are in stock so they had to order it. Funny thing was that these parts were back ordered so I have to wait about 2 weeks. So, when I take it in next week, it'll be my 5th visit for warranty work in 14 months of ownership. The Navi does some funny things every now and then too. The other day, it dumped all my saved destinations and sometimes, the ETA is way off. If I turn it off and then on again, it works fine. Strange.
Our next family car will probably be a Lexus or Infiniti. I've owned Japanese cars before and never had any issues with them.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
Surely you'll want your wife's opinion on how she likes driving them. I bet she'll like driving the R-class better. In addition, I think both of you will want an R-class with a black dash as the other colors reflect into the windshield badly.

·
Registered
05 ML500 SE
1,482 Posts
2011 R class offers the 7 seat option. The GL is quicker because of the bigger engine. GL: 0-60mph in 6.7 seconds. R: 0-60mph in 8.0 seconds. The V8 sounds much nicer than the R350's V6. I never cared for that V6.
but isnt there an r500?

·
Registered
128 Posts
but isnt there an r500?
MB stopped producing the R500(550?). Both trims are V6 350s: Bluetec and the regular R350.
I agree with you in that the R looks like a funeral car, although the 2011 model looks better. My wife, who is the primary driver of the MB, never liked the looks of the R. As for me, I could care less as I only drive her car when we haul the family around. Don't get me wrong; we love our GL, especially the wife. I just can't stand unreliable cars. Maybe ours is a wannabe lemon!

·
Registered
2008 ML550
52 Posts
Yeah, I think they made an R500. Actually, there's a R63, but I think MB stopped production in '08. Not enough demand, I imagine. ---- My wife is the primary driver of our ML550 and we both LOVE it. We regularly transport 4 passengers with ease. Its medium size is great for "around town" but it's still big enough to have good cargo space and tow things.

If cargo space is a concern you can always buy a roof rack and container to use on the R or ML. But if you towing more than 3500lbs, then you want the ML or GL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts