Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300gd
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone give me some real world response on their experience with their Doetsch (Gk) shocks.I'm in the process of ordering some for a unlifted G and I'm a little confused on the specs that Chuck posted. In Chucks posting I think the first section on the spec list describes the front shocks bushings,sleeves...etc ,so does the description at the bottom describe the rear configuration ? I know about the sizes specifications
but I'm a little unsure about the descriptioning for the sleeving and bushings and I don't want to make a costly custom ordering mistake. Does the sleeves and bushings differ from the lifted and unlifted specs and is this why he put the decription "stud on body,s2 loop w/16mm sleeves" at the bottom of the description?
thanx
scott

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I have the GK shocks on an unlifted G and I've been happier with them than any shock I've used in on/off road combination vehicles. I haven't looked at his spec page, but I'll try and find time to do so and see if I can help.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1996 G300TD
384 Posts
Excellent schocks so far. 2 things I like less:

1. Small size mounting bolt on one side.
2. Sticking out filler cap close to axle parts on the front axle.

Allthough zink-plated they corrode quickly.

Apart from these few little quirks theyh are trouble free, comfortable, long travel.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Agreed

I noticed the same things, though the "small" mounting bolt is the same size as any other shock.

BUT!

Both issues are eliminated if you run the shocks inverted, just like the Bilstein in the picture (sitting on front of my g, BTW!) on the Gk info page shows that it was run. The only downside is that running them like the Bilsteins puts the body up in the engine bay, not down in the cooling airflow. But if you consent to run the fronts with the shock body UP like the bilsteins do, then you get to put the HUGE threaded rod end down on the axle and the filler nipple is then protected by the protrusion of the eye loop up on top in the engine bay.

Just a thought. I haven't had any real problem with either issue, so I'm happy keeping the fronts body-down like I have them. But the other way is certainly an option.

I have an E-mail in to Q to confirm my suspicions before I reply to all the original questions. Didn't want to put my foot in my mouth.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
230ge
196 Posts
I have just purchased 4 new shocks from MB Canada they sent SACHS BOGE rears and front..Seems all four shocks have been dead or close to dead since I have owned this little truck.
The dead shocks from the rear seem to have no rebound when compressed by hand but, I noticed the new ones act similarly. Do these shocks "firm up" with use? I assume since all four shocks act the same way that they are to spec. I have never seen this with cars I have owned in the past (once they are compressed they push back and rebound to an pre-determined length). Perhaps it has much to do with the travel length and the dual chamber systems in these SACHS. Enlighten me please.
I will be replacing both shock mounts and spring seat mounts at the same time. Should improve things.I Wonder what it will be like to drive the truck with shock absorbers for the first time in two years.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Toronto230GE - 4/28/2005 6:13 PM

I have just purchased 4 new shocks from MB Canada they sent SACHS BOGE rears and front..Seems all four shocks have been dead or close to dead since I have owned this little truck.
The dead shocks from the rear seem to have no rebound when compressed by hand but, I noticed the new ones act similarly.
The Sachs shocks are not gas pressurized like Bilsteins and Koni. They will not push back out when you push them in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts