Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300E
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got some on order to see if they make a difference of not in my car and they should be here by the end of the week.

Car is running what it came with when I bought it a few months ago which is Bosch Platinum 2
spark plugs.

My wires are stock and may even be original to the car as is the ignition.

I've read a few post on the subject from the various Mercedes sites and my car does do some weird stuff,but I don't know if any of it has anything to do with the plugs I have in it now. It could just be that it needs attention in other areas,but I bought the H9DC plugs to at least take that out of the equation.

In the future I may just change the system over and run non-resistor wires so I can run resistor plugs as they are a lot easier to find.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
Noted, thanks.

·
Registered
1996 C36, 1995 S500 Coupe, 1985 190E 2.3
301 Posts
I hope you don't listen to AM radio. The non-resistor wires will produce a lot of RF noise.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I hope you don't listen to AM radio. The non-resistor wires will produce a lot of RF noise.
Whoever listens to AM radio anyway?

·
Registered
1977 230, 1990 300E 2.6
243 Posts
IIRC, the wires are not resistor but the plug cap end is. The caps are made in a non-resistor form but I was never able to locate them. If your wires and cap/rotor are old/original, it is time to replace them, anyway. They don't last forever. Many also suggest a new, stock, coil after many years have passed on use of the original because the spark output can weaken. I have not done that as of yet on my cars but it is on my list.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Pilots do, their radios a VHF AM. Fortunately, auto ignition EMI does not have much effect at the higher frequencies.
That and our radios are heavily shielded. Or so we're told.

·
Registered
1989 300E
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IIRC, the wires are not resistor but the plug cap end is. The caps are made in a non-resistor form but I was never able to locate them. If your wires and cap/rotor are old/original, it is time to replace them, anyway. They don't last forever. Many also suggest a new, stock, coil after many years have passed on use of the original because the spark output can weaken. I have not done that as of yet on my cars but it is on my list.
Thanks,yeah I have read that it's the actual plug boot not the wires that have the resistor,but I was generalizing since replacement wires will also come complete with new boots.

If I have to eventually buy new wires anyway as I intended to keep the car until it falls apart then I may as well do the ignition/coil/wire change over all at once in say a few thousand miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts