Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - My speedometer has always had a shake at speeds under 20 mph and over 65 mph. The other morning when I was driving to work on the highway, I hit a small bump and my cluster started making a horrendously loud sound (almost like a lot of air pressure trying to fit through a small hole type whistle). My speedometer was waving back and forth at all speeds too, a bit more than normal. When I would slow down it would get a bit quieter and it eventually just went away after 12 minutes or so (seemed like an eternity - couldnt hear my radio or engine, just the sound). After that, my speedometer no longer had the shakes at the higher speeds.. smoothest it's ever been. No incidents on the ride home from work either. But, it happened again this morning too, only for about 2 minutes this time tho, and went away. I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before my speedometer sh*ts the bed..

Does anyone have ANY idea what this could be? Is my car just in the mood of halloween? Kinda lost since it's so intermittent, and only when it's cold in the AM.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
The cable may not be screwed all the way in and maybe the entire cluster needs to be seated properly.

·
Registered
1983 300 TDT
24 Posts
My 300 TD has done the same thing the past two mornings. It only starts above 40 mph and stops either on its own, or when I slow down or stop. Once the car warmed up completely, it did not come back on. This weekend I replaced all my trim screws for the dash panel tightening it up--could I have pinched the speedo cable? While the needle was more steady this morning than ever before the squealing, after the noise it was shaky.

Would greasing the cable or something in the gauge help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts