Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'85 500SEL
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in '05 I got a new cat-less, free-flow exhaust fitted from the down pipes back
Now I'm getting rid of the large stainless muffler and having tail pipes exiting from both ends of the rear bumper
The fuel pump won't be an issue, as the guys are to fabricate a heat sheild to take care of that

I'd like to leave out the rear mufflers all together (against the advice of the exhaust shop) but, I'm wondering how loud this will make the car, excessively loud?

This is the look I'm going for...quad tips, you think this looks good or would single tips suit better?
Should be done next week

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,108 Posts
I think it looks very good with the quad-tips.

Get the rear mufflers though, your car will be seriously LOUD without them and the droning noise will drive you bonkers after a very short time.

·
Registered
1982 300CD|1998 GMC Sierra 2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel|2008 Chevy Cobalt 2.2L DD
2,003 Posts
Looks great with quad tips, Don't leave out the center muffler.. The car will be very loud in the cabin. Leave out the rear muffler. It will sound good.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
even with my flowmaster muffler, mine is a bit too loud for my liking. no mufflers is not reccomended. not only will it be ungodly loud, it will sound like shit. The tone will be all wrong. there are 2 places for straight pipes. the track, and Hazzard county, if you get my drift.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
It looks fine with the duals an quad tips, just not something I'm used to seeing.

Don't go without mufflers. It will drone above 70 mph and you won't like that at all. Maybe you could ditch the resonators, but hang onto them awhile till sure you don't want them) and keep a good performance muffler on the car. (Which as pictured, looks like a real bad boy)!!

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
magnaflow. best mufflers made IMO. i'm doing center exit quads soon. in the planning, i cut the internally rusted out factory muffler off to mock up the piping for the new center exit and it's pretty loud. not rediculous.. just sounds more like a musclecar, which i'm not too fond of. but i've gotten many compliments on it, although it's hard to accept them since i disagree. i'd preffer a nice deep tone at idle/low rpm, and a smooth rasp-free roar at WOT. i'm tempted with a set of F1 mufflers but i don't know how they'll sound. but i assure you at least a single dual inlet dual outlet magnaflow will clean things up nicely.

·
Registered
"500"sel, 560sec
2,036 Posts
youll loose lower end torque and it will sound too "barky" which sounds like arse, ive just added better resonateors on the back of my system and it sound bloody good, no more bark and acceleration is better. THe quad tips would be cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts