Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a related inquiry to having of stately gentle, smooth and unnoticeable shifting into second and third on a 2000 E320. My car (in S mode) has a distinctive and irritating hard thump, or clunk into second and third gear.
I have heard (read) several suggestions, such as the transmission ECU and faulty readings coming from a defective transmission sensor, the vacuum modulator (twisting it in making the shift point more firm, unscrewing it making the shift point less firm), and a software upload, adjusting shift points. I would note that the car seems to be idling a little higher than usual (750 to 800 in park, and 600 to 650 in drive). The car is still under the Starmark extended warranty.

Any suggestions about getting smoother, gentler shifts?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Have you ever had a transmission service? If not I would start by having as much of the transmission fluid changed as you can and changing the filter. Since you are under the Starmark warranty it would be wise to CYA by having a MB dealer do this job. Most members on here seem opposed to a flush and with a 2000 W210 you probably do not have a torque converter drain plug whereby you can change the fluid completely. I don't have the plug either so I had a partial change with new filter. I think my car began shifting more smoothly immediately.

·
Registered
2000 E320
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Getting Smoother Shifts into Second and Third Reply to Thread

Thanks. The car is in the shop as of this afternoon. I will ask my service advisor, with whom I have a very good working relationship, about a flush.

I failed to mention that the car has 43,000 miles. It does not have a plug (3/00 mfg date).

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
My pleasure. I thought about something else after writing my post. Let your warranty take care of it. I have a one of the CPO warranties and it has really paid off for me. I didn't have mine serviced until 58,000 but bought it with 53,000 and had driven 5,000 before I decided I needed to have it done (based on what I've read on Benzworld). Good Luck!

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
Have you ever had a transmission service? If not I would start by having as much of the transmission fluid changed as you can and changing the filter. Since you are under the Starmark warranty it would be wise to CYA by having a MB dealer do this job. Most members on here seem opposed to a flush and with a 2000 W210 you probably do not have a torque converter drain plug whereby you can change the fluid completely. I don't have the plug either so I had a partial change with new filter. I think my car began shifting more smoothly immediately.
+1 I believe MB states that the transmission fluid is in there for life. Are they out of their minds. Most manufactures recommend a complete drain and flush at 60K. A well lubed transmission will actually out last a well lubed engine. With that said, I will be servicing my transmission every 30K for peace of mind. Luckily, my 00 W210 was built 07/99 prior to the torque converter drain plug elimination date of 08/99.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
+1 I believe MB states that the transmission fluid is in there for life. Are they out of their minds. Most manufactures recommend a complete drain and flush at 60K. A well lubed transmission will actually out last a well lubed engine. With that said, I will be servicing my transmission every 30K for peace of mind. Luckily, my 00 W210 was built 07/99 prior to the torque converter drain plug elimination date of 08/99.
Yes they do, ar least as far as the W210 goes. I have 2 other non-MB cars and the dealers (and mfg as far as I know) both recommend replacing the transmission fluids/filter at every major 30,000 service. I agree that MB is out of their minds with the lifetime idea. Some members here have said they are close to the mark, but I still don't trust their idea.

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
How did it go at the dealer?...

Please let us know how things came out from the dealer service.

The faster idle would indicate other issues 2 me.

Is the car shifting better??

THX
B

·
Registered
2000 MERCEDES C43 AMG / 2004 AUDI RS6 / 2005 AUDI TT 3.2 V6
165 Posts
ive got a year 2000 E55 AMG face lift model and mines the same whan u go to pull away quickley it makes a hard thumping like it gone into gear and when u floor it it sometimes takes a couple of seconds to change into another gear i have heard this is normal when driven hard because when driven with less right foot on the pedal its very smooth and at high speed its ok and changes smooth as well it mainley when u pull away:D i just glad theres other people with this problem oh and i have had the gearbox oil changed 8,000 miles ago as recamended.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes E320 Sedan
26 Posts
Smoother Shifts into Second and Third

M Jones,

My 97 e320 is having the same symptoms shifting hard into 2nd and third. I was wondering if you were able to get yours fixed and what is the solution?
Just a tranny flush or did you have to replace some other sensor or component?

Please let me know I have 115K miles on the car and just want it to keep running great.
thanks,
Sunny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts