·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,906 Posts

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
FWIW I suffer from similar, and I've just re-replaced the LEDs I fitted to my R350 with Hella 100 watt halogen bulbs (H7), big improvement, not least because the source points for the lights once again matches up with the focal points of the parabolic reflectors inside the lights. Replaced the 55 watt halogens on the Discovery with 100 watt H4s while I was in A$$spen too. Contemplating how I can neatly fit either spot fog and driving lights or a light bar to the R350 in time for the Memsahib (not me) going to A$$pen again in two weeks time...

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
^ Fork 'em! Lesser vehicles shouldn't be on our roads anyway!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Large portion of the problem are suv and pickup trucks with poorly aimed and super bright headlights. Making your lights brighter is not going to remove their blinding lights.

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
^ Nice of you to diagnose the OP's optical problems for him, didn't know you'd met him.

Yes, other vehicle's lights have been a problem since cars have had headlights, but most people simply don't mess with their headlights. Let's face it, most drivers these days can manage to fill up their gas tanks but opening the hood? Surely not! In fact, in H-town at least, driving around without ANY lights on has become the "cool thing to do" for much of 2018-19. Rather, I suspect, it's either simply the number of vehicles on our roads (especially in cities) or people driving on high beam that's the problem for most people, but like the OP, I find MY night vision ain't what it used to be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
like the above, i'd check that the lenses are clear. the plastic one's on my w210 are a bit oxidized and i'm sure this costs lumens.

doesn't help that inconsiderate drivers "upgrade" to illegally bright bulbs or just drive around with their high beams... to be honest, some new cars low beams seem like high beams to me. i'd like to see some sort of safety check here in california (like hawaii) that measures lumens, bet some wouldn't pass.

i'm only 49 and getting to the point i prefer to drive rather than ride my motorcycle at night...
I have the same problem in my 20-year-old car. Some people has such bright bulbs that my high beam looks like parking lights. I become completely blind. I don't know what to do and cannot drive on rainy nights. Also I prefer not to drive on nights at all which very impact my activities.

·
Registered
1977 280SE, 1984 280SEL
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
My current plan is to get my eyes examined when the plan-covered person gets back from vacation, the ophthalmologist to remove early cataracts, replace fog light bulbs with 100 watt CREEs, add 200 watt spots below the bumper aimed at side stripes and continue my evening to late night episodes with Contra Dance. I hope that you folks follow my interest to Contra Dance because those that do will enhance their lives immensely.

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
I would suggest having your headlights polished then sealed (that bit is important). The scourge of plastic headlight lens in the last 10 to 20 years is a right Royal nuisance - cheap to manufacture but no longevity. The glass ones on our 20 year old Land Rover work like New.

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
^ I stand corrected. Which brings me to my next points: are the reflectors in the back of the headlights in good shape and are you using the correct bulbs? Discolored or corroded reflectors won't, um, reflect as much light forward, and if you're using "not the right ones but they fit" bulbs, the focal point of the light might not match the focal point of the reflector's parabola.

·
Registered
1977 280SE, 1984 280SEL
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
^ I stand corrected. Which brings me to my next points: are the reflectors in the back of the headlights in good shape and are you using the correct bulbs? Discolored or corroded reflectors won't, um, reflect as much light forward, and if you're using "not the right ones but they fit" bulbs, the focal point of the light might not match the focal point of the reflector's parabola.
I'll check but I think that they are sealed beams on mine. My next appt at my mechanic has him replacing the bulbs in the fog lights and installing 200 watt spots under the bumper to go on with the fogs. I have, before that, an eye doctor appt to upgrade my prescription, or, if they find early cats, arrange to get THAT part(s) fixed.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
sealed beams on mine
Hella used to do a nice line in halogen replacement units for sealed beams - which were, believe invented by Lucas. AKA The Prince of Darkness.

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
348 Posts
You might want to check out http://www.truck-lite.com/, they also have halogen & led headlamps including 5 x 7" rectangular units that will fit in place of the NA sealed beams.

I don't have any connection but I do run their 7" round halogens in my W123.

·
Registered
1977 280SE, 1984 280SEL
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You might want to check out http://www.truck-lite.com/, they also have halogen & led headlamps including 5 x 7" rectangular units that will fit in place of the NA sealed beams.
View attachment 2614054
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked but they do not have glass ones with LED, which is my preference.

·
Registered
9,906 Posts
^ You can fit LEDs in place of most halogens you know.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,087 Posts
View attachment 2614054
I checked this site out & have 2 questions. 1 do these fit in the 87 sec? 2 is there a price, as I could not find one. They look like good lights if they may work

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
348 Posts
I checked this site out & have 2 questions. 1 do these fit in the 87 sec? 2 is there a price, as I could not find one. They look like good lights if they may work
If you're running the standard North American large ( 5x7") rectangular sealed beams, then I'd say yes. As for price I know that Amazon has them listed at $290.00 Cad each.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts