Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After cruising the web, I found some interesting info on the 102.983 engine. Some owners will drill a small hole into the #1 bearing cap to allow oil to shoot onto the exhaust sprocket and thus lube the timing chain in a better fashion. This seems to be a slight flaw in the design of the mighty 2.3L-16v engine.

Has anyone tried this with any success? I'm interested in doing it just for kicks. It's a free upgrade. Why not?

Attachments

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
The silence is probably due to the hesitation for 16 valve owner to possible damage their expensive engine to fix a condition which is not a particular issue with the motor. Now, if there was an easy fix for blown head gaskets in M103 motors or crusty valve stem guides, then it would be different.

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noted.

However, I don't see the possible "damage" to the bearing cap. They are talking about a very small hole. This appearently will lengthen the life of your timing chain as it will get better oil saturation. (their words, not mine.)

BTW, I may have an easy fix for crusty valve stem guides. Start using a good quality oil additive that would help prevent build-up or "crustiness". I've been using Marvel mystery oil for several years. Seems to work.

Of course, my "easy fix" may not remove any existing "crust" from the guides. :(

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
Valve stem seals hardened as they ageg and then developed cracks which compromises the seals, so it was more an issue with the material that Mercedes originally used for the seals, just like the material their suppliers used in the gaskets, which have been updated to address the failures. Using good lubricants is always a good idea.

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point(s).

I must have confused "crusty" valve stem seals for "cracked" ones. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts