Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My SLK320 sport is getting terrible gas mileage right now. It has 80,xxx miles and just SUCKS up gas like crazy! Before we could go around 320 miles on one tank and now we are getting barely 200.

We do need to do an oil change which we will be doing this weekend, but could this be the culprit? Albeit, we have been lazy and haven't changed the oil in over 7 months :bowdown: Is there anything else I should be checking into that could cause this horrible change in MPG????

Thanks for any help!
Matt

·
Registered
1998 230 slk
109 Posts
When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? I change mine every 20,000 miles. May be a bit overkill but it is only a $15.00 part and takes only 20 minutes. i have 142,000 miles on my 230.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
A lot of it depends on how you drive. :)

Is the CEL on?

Most likely culprits: (a) MAF staring to go bad (b) O2 sensors starting to go bad (c) Dirty air-cleaners. (d) Heavy right foot.

Also check if no brakes are binding. Jack each wheel up in turn and try to spin. Rear wheels are more difficult but can be done by lifting under diff, have car in neutral and parking brake off.

Plugs should still be good for another 20K miles, but it's still a possibility. If you have access to a code reader, check for pending codes.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! I haven't changed the fuel filter, I'll throw that on the list. Good to know that your 230 is running strong @ 142k!

just changed airfilters to K&N, also did all new brake pads, I'll have to check to make sure everything went...well. Plugs should be changed @ 100k?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Did the heavy fuel consumption start after changing the brake pads? If yes, check for a pad dragging.
Plugs is 100K or 5 years. The 5 years is to prevent the plugs from 'welding' to the aluminum head, but I changed mine after 9 years without any problems. Use the same style of plugs that is currently in, that is a plug with a single side electrode. These engines don't like the multi-electrode plugs. Get the platinum/platinum type (side and center electrodes platinum).

Oh, and start saving for a new MAF - the K&N will probably kill the current MAF in a short time. :surrender:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts