Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I'm hoping that things have settled down for me and I can get back to reading and posting on the forum. The last several months have been nuts!

The 380se AMG "Pimp" car has gone to charity to benefit the Boy Scouts. I hope they can buy a few hot dogs from the proceeds. I'm soooo farking glad to see it gone. It's a PITA to drive 40 miles each way to scavenge parts. Check it out. It's kind of a urban look with the new "mono block" 4x4 suspension and the 0 series tires and the really shaved bumpers. It rolled like a sled on ice in the hanger but the asphalt's little pebbles were like parking chocks. I took the MIG welder to the cam tower bolts and still broke grade 8 bolts trying to get the cams out :(

I'm going out to the garage this morning before it get's too hot and continue working on the AMG. I'm two months into changing out the intake gaskets and will finish up cleaning the manifolds today :) I'll be looking at all the pics I took to get this thing back together after I spend half a lifetime gathering pn's from teutone's "Good news for me.." thread for vac connectors. Note to self. Find a machine shop with an AL dipping tank to clean the carbon out of the two intakes. F me if I ever do that again! Jonothan's idea using the paint stripper was the best material to remove the build up but it would have been $20 well spent to farm out. Now I've got to clean the heads and the valley so I can look towards ordering parts and reassembly. Then I'll get on the half shaft that needs replacing. I'll just drop the whole rear and make it easy and replace the bushing/rear shocks while I'm there.

The SD is also begging for attention. She's 8000 mile on the last oil change and I've had to add a whole 1/2 quart. Good Girl!!! I'm so tired of not being able to restore her and have a growing list of mechanicals popping up. The latest is a fuse blowing and having no radio or vac locking. That's low on the list of things to do right now but she's getting me to work with f'ing diesel going at 4.82/gal. Just another damn thing for me to do now. I'm thinking about becoming one of those hippy, save the f'ing dolphins, dope smoking, WVO guys (my right wing is showing) and burning some grease in the old girl. I've got a tie dye shirt so I'm half way there :) It's running me over $80 round trip and the cheap arse pilot in me is getting pissed that it's cutting into my IPA funds. I'm probably going to put the AMG kit on the SD as "useable storage" and lower the car then run the tire's at higher pressure than I've been. Cut down on drag, lower rolling resistance, and tweak everything to make she's running right to get my beer money back :)

I should be around more and I miss hanging out here. The airline has reserve captains now and I was able to shove 7 days of flying in their lap this month, I'm only working with one student, and I've sworn off flight attendants, getting my wife off my back :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,452 Posts
Ahhhh, the Minnesota look, ready for Ice Racing!! Not much in a straight line but hell in the corners! :)

Don't toss out those Euro headlights, I'd be interested in getting them for my 560SEL. If you can buy them back from the Boy Scouts, please do so and I'll pay you.

What's Jet fuel going for these days? Pretty sure an MB diesel wouldn't have much trouble with kerosene occasionally mixed in. You obviously need a storage tank in your hanger that the fuel truck can keep topped off...... Kerosene is a known additive used by truckers in the wintertime to ensure the fuel doesn't gel. It's winter somewhere right now. :)

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhhh, the Minnesota look, ready for Ice Racing!! Not much in a straight line but hell in the corners! :)

Don't toss out those Euro headlights, I'd be interested in getting them for my 560SEL. If you can buy them back from the Boy Scouts, please do so and I'll pay you.

What's Jet fuel going for these days? Pretty sure an MB diesel wouldn't have much trouble with kerosene occasionally mixed in. You obviously need a storage tank in your hanger that the fuel truck can keep topped off...... Kerosene is a known additive used by truckers in the wintertime to ensure the fuel doesn't gel. It's winter somewhere right now. :)
The euro's went with the car and were junk. The passenger side leaked and was rusted out big time and the lens on the left had been broken for a long time letting crude inside. Believe me, I've looked at Jet-A. I might swing by Tracy airport where it's only 4.32/gal but most places it's $5.00 or better. ARGH!!!!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know about the US, but over here in Europe those Centra alloys are valuable :) Keep them
They were cheap japanese knock-offs with peeling chrome that I had on the SD. I had painted them once and they looked pretty good but they were looking like hell. I sacrificed them and will use the 16" "Penta's" from the pimp car on the SD. I'm running the 17" monoblocks from the AMG on the SD right now until I get to cleaning up the Penta's and mounting my old tires on them. Those 17" look pretty good on the SD :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
They were cheap japanese knock-offs with peeling chrome that I had on the SD. I had painted them once and they looked pretty good but they were looking like hell. I sacrificed them and will use the 16" "Penta's" from the pimp car on the SD. I'm running the 17" monoblocks from the AMG on the SD right now until I get to cleaning up the Penta's and mounting my old tires on them. Those 17" look pretty good on the SD :)
16'' Pentas - a tasteful choice if youre going for the AMG-look :)

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,487 Posts
AA, Glad to see you back.
Was good to meet you at the IKEA parking lot. Wish you could have accompanied us on the Diesel Drive. It was a blast!

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,452 Posts
The euro's went with the car and were junk. The passenger side leaked and was rusted out big time and the lens on the left had been broken for a long time letting crude inside. Believe me, I've looked at Jet-A. I might swing by Tracy airport where it's only 4.32/gal but most places it's $5.00 or better. ARGH!!!!
That's ugly when JetA is more (or close) to road fuel prices!! I used to live in Antioch, been to Tracy Airport. I looked into buying near the airport and use a 152 to go to work just south of Hayward Airport, but it didn't work out. Would have been fun though!!

Thanks for the update on the headlights.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Great to have you back, Roy.

When you have a moment, go to the Mercedesshop Diesel forum stickies and be sure to sign up for our upcoming Diesel Drive on July 19th, in the South Bay Area....

And thanks again, for providing the "finishing" touch, the SEC cleaned up REALLY nicely...

IMG_1105[1] on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts