Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'01 SLK 230
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm currently shopping for a used SLK230 ('99-'01). It will be my first Mercedes [:D]. In the meantime, I've been reading everything I can find about the car; these forums are a great source of information! I have a few questions:

1) I've read that there's a Repair Manual CD-ROM circulating on the forums, but I haven't been able to find it; where can I download the ISO? Also, is there a user manual available online (so I can look through it before getting the car)?

2) I'd obviously prefer an '01 (post-facelift) rather than a '99 or '00, but I'd be willing to consider a pre-'01 if I can find a really good deal. My main concern with the pre-facelift models is the supercharger clutch: since it engages and disengages all the time, does it tend to fail often in owners' experience? What triggers it to engage, just engine RPM or something else, too?

3) Is there anything else (problem areas, etc.) that I should be concerned about with the pre-'01 models? I've read the model year differences documnent in the "Publications" section, but that doesn't tell the whole story...

4) Does the car come standard with an alarm system? What about an antistart -- I've heard that the key has a chip in it, right?

5) Are there any programmable features (e.g., automatic door locking when car is in motion)? If so, can I program these myself or do I have to go to Mercedes? I haven't been able to find a list of programmable features (and instructions) anywhere.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know as much as possible for when I buy the car. I'll post pictures as soon as I get it [:D].

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
I just wanted to comment about the s/c clutch. I have an '04 slk32, and it uses a clutch that disengages at slow speeds and low RPMs. I don't know if it's similar to what you're asking, but it sounds like the same general idea.

It must work OK or MB would have changed it. Hopefully someone else with experience will chime in with their 2 cents.

good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts