Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry, but I love stick and love the way the M5 looks...some of you have said that the M5 is a boy toy. Well that might be true (I am in my early twenties), but it definitely is in a class by itself (like the E55) and is by no means a sub par vehicle or "ricer".<p>Anyways...the reason for my post is not to start a flamewar between the M5 and E55. To do so is utterly stupid, because they are completely different cars that can't really be compared to each other. One is an aggressive roadcar that is marketed more towards the driving enthusiast, while the other is a classy, luxury cruiser w/ 391 ft.-lbs of torque on tap!<p>A friend of mine is an avid MB guy and really loves AMG. His first AMG was the C43, then he moved up to the E55 and now he has the CLK55. He used to race formula 3 cars and is an <u>extremely</u> good driver. The things he has done in the E55 are truly life changing experiences (bit dramatic, but the emphasis is on how hard he has pushed the E55). There is one road in particular that made me a believer in the E55s god-like abilities...Angeles Crest Highway (you LA folks will know what I'm talking about). It is a road that starts at about 1000 ft elevation and climbs to about 7000ft (maybe even 10000ft...gotta check next time I go). It is filled with some insane twisties that will easily punish even the most experienced drivers. He knows this course like the back of his hand because he probably does a nice up and down run 2-3 times a week. Before he traded in the E for the CLK, he took me for a nice "stroll" up this road...*sigh*...I have never in my life felt such an adrenaline rush. Rollercoaster? Not even close. Sex...well maybe, but that only lasts for a short while:) I mean we were easily (and this is not a joke) doing 120+...down a friggin mountain with nothing but cliff dropoffs on the outside of every turn...while listening to some nice Coltrane (he loves listening to jazz while he's racing). The E55 handled every turn beautifully...no tire screech...no crazy body sway...nothing. Just perfect balance and in constant harmony with the road. If only the E55 came in stick...I would definitely have bought one.<p>So there's my $0.02 on the E55...truly an engineering marvel. Those guys in Munich really know their $h!t!<p>Take care fellas and enjoy your beasts<br>Samir

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Thanks for the story Samir

To be honest, I'm not sure. He hasn't taken the car on the Angeles Crest Highway (which for him is the ultimate test of any motorized vehicle...he also races his motorcycles on this road). He did mention to me though, how he likes the balance of the E55 much better than the CLK55, but the CLK is quicker.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks that's what I thought as well.

The E55 should be slightly more balanced with the wider track, the CLK is based on the old C platform, well the wild one will be the SLK32 AMG. I wonder how the little chassis can handle 354 horses although with less torque.

·
Registered
E320, BMW M5, Porsche Carrera GT
89 Posts
Samire jebo te patak, Mercedes se proizvodi u Stuttgart - Baden Wuertenberg.
BMW je u Minhenu - Buyern.

·
Registered
2005 E55 AMG
247 Posts
I was looking at either the M5 or E55 before I settled on the AMG. I really like the look of the M5 and the interior is awesome as well. Never actually drove one, but my understanding is it is a bit quicker than the E55 and handles better. I do miss not having a stick sometimes, but with the traffic around here, it doesn't make sense to have a stick...at least for me. I've decided to upgrade to an '04 E55 very soon because 516 lb. ft. of torque (bone stock) is just too hard to resist :cool: I'll never buy another American or Japanese car after owning a Benz.

·
W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,910 Posts
yup bone stock but its a kompressor not an N/A thats why. well me too I'm looking for '04 or '05 E55 in albaster or in graphite if the price is right why not! & still plan to keep my W210

1 - 12 of 12 Posts