Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in the market for a used Mercedes. I found a few in my price range that look nice. But I would like to get some feedback as far as gas mileage, reliability, general mechanics, and just general things I should know. The ones I can afford and am going to test drive Saturday are as follows:
03' C240 - 58k miles.
03' CLK320 - 63k miles.
00' CLK430 cabriolet - 68k miles.
00' ML320 4x4 - 61k miles.
03' C240 - 39k miles.**
01' CLK320 - 42k miles.
01' CLK320 - 46k miles.
00' E320 - 38k miles.
02' C230 Kompressor - 60k miles.**
01' C320 - 46k miles. **

The 3 with *'s next to them are the 3 that I'm very serious about. Those are the ones I like the best (price-wise). The 01' C320 with 46k miles is the one I would prefer to buy because the price is the best for the mileage.

Thanks in advanced!!

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Reliability is the easier answer, since it always ranges in the fair to poor range for these cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't suppose you could tell us where you are, whether these are dealer cars or private, etc etc etc?
Sorry, don't know why it mattered....But I'm in Clearwater and I will be buying from a local dealership.

Reliability is the easier answer, since it always ranges in the fair to poor range for these cars.
That's the biggest factor for me. How do you feel about the 01' C320 coupe and the 03' C240s?

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
None are great picks. I would steer clear of the 01-03 C class. First gen ML is to be avoided at all costs. 01 was the first model year for the C class and was not a very reliable year (poor at best). The best vehicle there is clearly the 00 E320 with only 38k miles. That car included all of the final revisions to the W210 and was one of the strongest model years for the W210 body style. This car also has VERY low mileage. I would start looking at an older S class if I were you. 97-99 S. Should be around the price range and its a whole lot better of a car then anything you have posted here.

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
Hello,

03' C240 - 58k miles.
03' CLK320 - 63k miles.
00' CLK430 cabriolet - 68k miles.
00' ML320 4x4 - 61k miles.
03' C240 - 39k miles.**
01' CLK320 - 42k miles.
01' CLK320 - 46k miles.
00' E320 - 38k miles.
02' C230 Kompressor - 60k miles.**
01' C320 - 46k miles. **
Most of those are cool... just make sure you also have a daily driver, or get CPO so you can get a free loaner.

If you want a really reliable car, Honda and Toyota make those.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
With practically any used Benz, especially since you are buying from a dealer, go with a CPO. The extra money I paid for mine has come back to me about double. Some 2002 and I think all 2003 should qualify. If the dealer is unwilling to certify a car, I would avoid it, or try and get a good honest answer why they won't. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick replies!

I know this is probably the wrong forum to say this on...but I'm also going to test drive an 01' S-Type Jaguar v8 with 38,000 miles and a 00' S-Type Jaguar v6 with 40,200 miles. The 00' is actually $1,500 more expensive and they're in about the same condition..Hmmmm?
I definitely prefer a v6 over the v8.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
None are great picks. I would steer clear of the 01-03 C class. First gen ML is to be avoided at all costs. 01 was the first model year for the C class and was not a very reliable year (poor at best). The best vehicle there is clearly the 00 E320 with only 38k miles. That car included all of the final revisions to the W210 and was one of the strongest model years for the W210 body style. This car also has VERY low mileage. I would start looking at an older S class if I were you. 97-99 S. Should be around the price range and its a whole lot better of a car then anything you have posted here.
Agreed. I'd give the E-Class a good long look.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
With practically any used Benz, especially since you are buying from a dealer, go with a CPO. The extra money I paid for mine has come back to me about double. Some 2002 and I think all 2003 should qualify. If the dealer is unwilling to certify a car, I would avoid it, or try and get a good honest answer why they won't. Good luck!
The CPO program and related warranty is really necessary with these used MB's. Consider extending the warranty by 1 or 2 years depending on how long you realistically plan to keep the car.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies!

I know this is probably the wrong forum to say this on...but I'm also going to test drive an 01' S-Type Jaguar v8 with 38,000 miles and a 00' S-Type Jaguar v6 with 40,200 miles. The 00' is actually $1,500 more expensive and they're in about the same condition..Hmmmm?
I definitely prefer a v6 over the v8.
Avoid Jags at ALL costs. I used to work at a Land Rover/Jag dealership and I know first hand what unreliable wrecks these cars are. They make first generation Daimler-Chrysler Mercedes looks reliable. Sometimes they even make Land Rover look reliable. The cars (Jags) are great to look at, but that's where the fun ends. They simply don't compete with the best in the class and are a dealer service department's best friend (because they spend more time there then on the road). AVOID!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The CPO program and related warranty is really necessary with these used MB's. Consider extending the warranty by 1 or 2 years depending on how long you realistically plan to keep the car.
I don't think the CPO applies for the 00' and 01's. It's only good for 2003's and newer. It says 5 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts