Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, new to Benzworld. My dad passed away a little over a year ago, and out of respect for him I'd like to get his 560SL running again. The car is an 86 model with only 24000 miles (he never drove it). It hasn't been used for the last 5-6 years (maybe started just once or twice a year).

I charged up the battery and started the car today but I noticed a few things. Would really appreciate any help:

1) Idle speed seemed to oscillate between ~900RPM and 1500RPM..it seemed to go back and forth with no clear reason...and seemed to do it quite frequently. I doubt this is normal behavior. Any ideas?

2) The Antilock brake light was initially on after starting the car; it then went away but then came back at various intervals.

3) I did not drive the car, but the last time I tried to back it out of the garage I suspect the right rear brake is seized (car is very slow to move and that area makes a loud noise). Any advise on how much it would cost to have this repaired at a dealer? Is this something I could attempt to fix myself?

4) After starting the car it made a clicking noise that was very noticeable at lower RPMs. Didn't notice any torn belts...any ideas?

5) There is some sort of fungus on the seats - it looks like white spots and they can be removed with scrubbing but it is somewhat difficult. Any idea how to remove this?

Sorry for the barrage of questions...I'm just home for a few days and wanted to take care of as much as possible. Thanks for any help you can offer. I'd really like to get this car drivable...I have always loved it and my mom could really use a second car. Plus it's a Benz and I have always loved 'em...one day I'll get one myself.

Thanks,
NM

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
I'll take a stab at your questions. For more thorough and knowledgeable advice, you should check the R/C107 forum--your car is a 107 model. If the car has only been started once or twice a year for five or six years, you should change all the fluids before you do anything else. If you aren't handy, have the car towed to a reputable shop (not a dealer) and have that done. Oil, coolant, ps fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid, diff grease, gasoline--everything should be replaced with fresh. Replace every filter in the vehicle while you're at it. Replace the spark plugs. Then turn the engine over for a bit with the spark plugs removed to moved the new lubricant around. Your garage may offer advice about whether to put a little kerosene in each cylinder and change the oil again before you try to start it and drive it.

The noise in the rear and the ABS light may be related. You could have a frozen wheel cylinder that is binding on a rotor.

The clicking noise may be related to old lubricants. Is it coming from the top or the bottom of the engine? Top is valves, bottom is main bearings.

Idle speed could be any of a number of things. Fresh gas may resolve it. If not, you could have a dirty induction system or the fuel pump could be running erratically from disuse. Sitting that long could cause corrosion in the fuel lines, or even a collapsed fuel line.

The stuff on the seats is probably mold. Go to the detailing forum and ask how to get the leather clean. They'll help you find a way to renew the seats without doing damage.

I applaud your respect for the memory of your father. What you may discover is the cost of bringing the car back to reliable driving condition is prohibitive, but your intentions are commendable. It won't be as simple as simply starting the car and driving it away; sitting idle for so long causes serious (and expensive) deterioration to the rubber (seals, gaskets, and the like) and the metals from which these cars are built. Good luck.

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
For good measure, you should have the wheel bearings repacked and the brake pads replaced.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
You need to run thought ALL the fluids and filters, then onto all the rubber bits (including tires, motor mounts, fan/serp belt), battery, brakes, ect.... It sounds like it was improperly stored. Cars need to be maintained whether they are driven or not. Just starting it twice a year is actually doing more damage to the car then doing nothing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts