Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled up yesterday and drove about 35 miles since and my gas gauge needle is less than 3/4 and the gas left in the tank is about 17 gallons. My average MPG on the dash is 14MPG but it seems to be getting less than that. Even at 14 MPG is very low. Is there something I can do to improve on the gas mileage? From what I've heard/read, this car should be getting about 20 MPG in the city and about 27 MPG on the highway but my highway is about 17 MPG.

Certainly something is wrong... any suggestions?

·
Registered
35,805 Posts
Don't judge anything base on 1/4 tank. Usually for good measurements you should average 2-3 fillups since small slope at the fuel pump can give you different fillups.
The computer is not perfectly accurate as well and "usually" they see the fuel consumption on positive side.
Than tell us more about driving style? Distance driven daily, city or highway. Do you have snow now?
When engine starts behaving badly -always start with basic. New air filter, change plugs when they are close to be due, bad MAF do cut down mpg before they trigger CEL as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, there is certainly something wrong with my car when it comes to fuel consumption. I filled up three days ago and I reset my trip mileage to see how far it will take me. Well, my trip mileage (the one above the mileage of the vehicle) shows 41 miles while another one shows "176 Miles.... since your last reset". Well, I certainly haven't driven 176 miles since I last reset it but my MPG is being calculated based on this value. I think my actual MPG is much much lower than what the vehicle is giving me. My gas thank is less than 3/4 of the tank after driving for 41 miles. I checked the floor to ensure there is no gas leak anywhere but there seems to be none.

I believe I'm getting somethings around 7- 10 MPG. This is very low. I will be changing the spark plugs tomorrow to see if this makes any different.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Fill the tank...drive 200 miles...fill the tank again. Then divide the miles by the gallons. That is the true MPG.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Fill the tank...drive 200 miles...fill the tank again. Then divide the miles by the gallons. That is the true MPG.
Plus one.

But you've got a few threads going with some various issues.

Assuming your estimate of mileage is correct and you're not doing bumper-to-bumper-stop-and-go-short-trip-in-cold-weather driving, plugs are not going to account for that horrific fuel economy. Most of the things that would should save a code as well (O2 sensor, MAF) but the thing that keeps springing to mind is "clogged cat."

But get the actual number first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts