Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new SL is coming soon, although it is packed with loads of tech goodies and is styled like the newer rounder, 'sleeker' Mercedes, It will never be even comparable to the R129. <br>
<br>
The the R129 series are the Last TRUE MBs. with High quality matireals, world-class crafsmanship form over function, and real German Engineering. The newer cars are all for show, many of them going it for warrenty once a week. The newer MBs look nice and all but will they hold up 10 years plus? Look at the M-class or even the new 'flagship S-class'. <br>
<br>
The newer cars have given up a lot of long guarded tradition for example the MB specific gauges, window switches, ect. They are becoming like any other luxury car like a Lexus. No longer will they be recognizable as a Benz from a distance or instead mistaken for a Infinity or Acura.<br>
<br>
Hating to say this but BMW is making more solid and better cars these days. Mercedes belives they can blind people with All the glitzy technology and safty features and sell people sub standard for the price vehicals. Latley they have been saving production costs and boosting their profits. Come on, if a 100,000 car has worst matireals and quality than a 25k Passat somethings gotta be wrong.<br>
<br>
My advice to you all that really wanted a Mercedes-Benz or were thinking about getting one soon, grab one of the 2001 or 2002 SL R129s it is the last real Benz and the last of such a beautifully unique timeless design. I't a modern classic that will last...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, i'm just speculating right now because im only a kid... my dad owns a '85 380 sl and i love it... i think it is more stylish than even the new ones, drives nice too.. anyway i agree with you 110%, mercedes has gone TOO mainstream..<br> btw- do you have any pics of the new sl's yet?<br> thanks,<br> john sawyer

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your fullof bs ... BMW has teh highest profit margins in teh industry and warranty and recals are (m

twice as often as with benzes ... The new eclass is the second most reliable car in germany the first is some cheap toyota that doesn't have any elctronics so nothing can go wrong. quit hating the future.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Naaahhh... I put a deposit, on the SL55 //AMG.. I am first on the list, so (more...)

with only 150 units a year to the U.S., this will be a rare bird.. I have only seen 2 CL55's EVER...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice. Just traded my 2001 C5 m6 for a new 2001 SL 500 - a quicksilver for a brilliant silver.<br> <br> The SL500 just has more 'presence'!<br> <br> Thanks for the advice SL500.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the SL55 is crap!

I just hate how MB sticks the stupid 55 tag on almost every serious, CLK55....CL55...S55...E55...etc. I raced a E55 and it's actually slower than what I expected. I thought the E55 would somehow dust my heavy SL600 ass. However, I dusted the guy. So I guess it's true that there is 'no replacement for displacment'...... lol.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: the SL55 is crap! [ROFL]

Jack, are you certain about your thoughts on the 2003 SL55?<br>
<br>
Won't the SL55 dust a 2001 SL600 or an E55? I think it will.<br>
<br>
The E55 has something like 350 hp and 350 lbs/ft of torque at around 3500rpm. And the SL600 has roughly 400 hp and 400 lbs/ft of torque at 3500 rpm - give or take 5%.<br>
<br>
BUT the 2003 SL55 has 476 hp and 516 lbs/ft of torque at 2650 rpm.<br>
<br>
It doesn't seem likely that any 600 will ever come close to matching the 2003 SL55. ...Unless the SL55 is towing a ski boat, maybe.<br>
<br>
Ted Poulos<br>
Toronto<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: the SL55 is crap!

How ya doin? I am thinking of buying a used 600Sl with 60,000 miles on it. What major problems should I expect? maintainence costs?? How many miles can I put on it without facing major problems, what do you think???<br> <br> ASM

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: the SL55 is crap!

How come you think the SL55 is crap? You might well have 'dusted' an E55, but trust me, you wouldn't dust an SL55. It's faster from 0-300km/h (186 mp/h) than a LAMBORGHINI DIABLO!! And that's from a car that weighs nearly 2 tonnes and has an automatic transmission. If you tried to race an SL55 at the lights, you wouldn't see which way it had gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts