Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 230 GE I have just aquired, has had a after market cat fitted for it,s operations in the city of Mostar Kosovo. The cat itself is rotten, it is not a requiurement to have it for the UK, I am contemplating have a system made in stainless steel leaving out the cat.
Opinions please on how it might, or not affect the running/performance.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
4x4rancher - 4/19/2005 8:34 AM

The 230 GE I have just aquired, has had a after market cat fitted for it,s operations in the city of Mostar Kosovo. The cat itself is rotten, it is not a requiurement to have it for the UK, I am contemplating have a system made in stainless steel leaving out the cat.
Opinions please on how it might, or not affect the running/performance.
It'll probably run a lot better - less exhaust restriction.

·
Registered
1979 G460
70 Posts
The one problem that I was pondering is with the o2 sensor will the light on the dash be lit all the time? I know that before I got the tune up done on mine after bringing it from sea level to altitude the check engine light was allways lit up.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
bwillie - 4/19/2005 9:11 AM

The one problem that I was pondering is with the o2 sensor will the light on the dash be lit all the time? I know that before I got the tune up done on mine after bringing it from sea level to altitude the check engine light was allways lit up.
I have a hunch that, if it's an aftermarket addition, there's probably no O2 sensor or other control to worry about.

P.S. I have two cats who both gave me a very worried look whent they saw the subject line of this thread.[;)]

·
Registered
1986 280ge
70 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but I have an 86' 280ge that has the small front muffler and the larger rear one(the later chassis version). I am assuming the front one is the cat. I'm pretty sure this front one is rotted out and I had my rear one replaced with a similar sized one. Now, I passed emmissions but am wondering if I just went custom and got rid of the front one would it adversely affect my tailpipe emmissions. I don't want to be a stinky old truck.

If anyone can divine a question out of my ramblings and give me advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1979 G460
70 Posts
Yes the smaller front one is the cat. It may not effect the "out of the tailpipe" emmisions but the inspection consists of making sure that the vehicle (if manufacturered after 79) has the cat installed. This is not to say that it has to be functional in some states.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dutch.
So your cats can read too [8)]
Thanks for thoughts guys, It does have O2 sensor but I can get around that, Its ceratinly an after market, I found a lot of documents detailing a number of changes both to BRIXMIS config and then back to BGS and then GSTKOS and UNMIK.
Former done in shop 40 Berlin and later work at BGS wkshp and then UN this fits in too with the different fuel line plumbing that I am also sorting out.

Dutch.. I am glad I didnt say SC..W the cat.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
4x4rancher - 4/19/2005 4:43 PM

Dutch.
So your cats can read too [8)]
They were both sitting on a chair in my office when I opened the message. They looked at each other with a look like "which one of us is he writing about?". They're a bit overly sensitive, as we just had to put down their older sister about two weeks ago; and they've been looking for her ever since.[V]

·
Registered
230GE,300TE24,CLK200
44 Posts
They were both sitting on a chair in my office when I opened the message. They looked at each other with a look like "which one of us is he writing about?". They're a bit overly sensitive, as we just had to put down their older sister about two weeks ago; and they've been looking for her ever since.[V]
Wow. America's so cool.
Now I just need to find a way of getting my sister to the states[;)]

Apologies. Just seen you were referring to your cat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts